cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude Attachments or Folder from Exchange Backup

AdrianV
Level 3
I am using BEX v12 with an Exchaneg Agent and I was wondering if there is a way to exclude certain attachment types or Inbox folders from user's mailbox. I read the documenation and it mention that it is possible when you do a legacy backup of mailboxes only.
We backup the entire store everynight - I was looking at the Include / Exclude option but not sure whether it works or not.
We have exchange 2007 installed on a 2008 Server 64 bit
Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AdrianV
Level 3
See my goal was to educate the employee to save all unnecessary attachments locally instead of having them stuck in Inbox.
Well.... thank you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Not that I know of.

Besides, backing up the IS should be pretty darn fast, when compared to bricklevels...  It should be a non-issue IMO, or negligible performance numbers after the fact.

You should really be looking at Symantec's Enterprise Vault for this task as a preventative measure, and not a reactive measure.

AdrianV
Level 3
So you think that Include / Exclude option will not work?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No, exclude include will work, only if doing legacy exchange mailbox backup, which is not recommended for Exchange 2007. So, please continue with full database backup and use GRT to restore individual messages.

Thanks

AdrianV
Level 3
So conclusion is that the Agent for Exchange is not capable of excluding attachments / folder from user's mailbox when performing a backup.
Right?

Thank you

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes, that is true. The simple reason being, we don't backup the attachments or messages, as messages but the complete database is backed up. So, the question of excluding any message from backup does not arise.

Thanks

AdrianV
Level 3
See my goal was to educate the employee to save all unnecessary attachments locally instead of having them stuck in Inbox.
Well.... thank you.