cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude files in BE2010

kennyb
Level 5

I am trying to exclude a file using BE2010 R3, but when I add the exclusion to the list and apply it, the only option I get is Cancel.

I see it on the Selection Details view but when I submit the job and then go back to it, the setting does not stay.

This files does sit on the network and is set via the network path and I have a remote agent on that server.

Does the include/exclude apply only for local resources and not network files?

thanks,

Ken

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ken,

Try this: Create a new selection list and put in the exclusion. Close it, and then open it up and see if the exclusion is retained.

If it does, it could be a corruption in the current selection list, and if you can redo it I'd then recommend that.

Thanks!

kennyb
Level 5

ok, I will try it.

The file I'm trying to exclude is corrupted and interrups the backup job, that's why I want to exclude it.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Kenny,

Just curious to know if the file is corrupted then why not delete it from the location. If there is any necessacity to keep the file then why not move it to different location which is not in the backup selection.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you enable AOFO in your job?  If not, an opened file could be reported as corrupt.

kennyb
Level 5

No AOFO is configured and we need to keep the folder for reference to a job.

I was able to get BE to accept the excluded file path by pointing to it's full domain path

\\server.domain.local\Drive letter:\shared network drive name\folder\etc....

e.g.

\\Fileserver.computech.local\D:\Projects\Project 123\The Penske File

It's quite finicky about file structure

thanks

Ken

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why didn't you enable AOFO?  It would have taken care of the corrupt file problem and you can backup that file.  Is that file not important?

kennyb
Level 5

I thought AOFO was an additional feature/license that you needed to purchase?

At least that's what I remember with v10 and 11

Is it available for free with 2010?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

AOFO is free with BE 2010.  You need to purchase it previously. You might need to enable it.

You should enable AOFO for file backups, but disable it when you are backing up databases.

kennyb
Level 5

Ah, good to know it's free now.

I'll include it for my backup scheme except for SQL.

It should work with system state files and exchange as well, correct?

CraigV

Don't use AOFO when backing up DBs...you're going to run into trouble at some stage.

If you use AOFO, consider splitting your backups off, and read below on how to do so:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Thanks!

kennyb
Level 5

That's why I'm including for everything except for SQL

I'm excluding SQL with AOFO.

What about aofo with system state and Exchange, any conflicts there?

thanks

CraigV

Not with the System State, but Exchange, yes there can be. It is a database in its simplest form. No problems with you lumping SQL and Exchange into their own combined job...I've done it before with no restore/backup issues.

Thanks!

kennyb
Level 5

I'd rather keep everything on a single job rather than spanning multiple jobs onto a single tape.

Good idea though.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need a minimum of 2 jobs to properly back up a server. One job with AOFO on to backup files and the system state.  The other with AOFO off to backup SQL and Exchange.

kennyb
Level 5

With BE 11d (our old server) I could put everything on a single job.

This includes system state, network files, exchange info store, SQL and never had any errors before.

Now with BE2010, I always get the system state error.