cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude individual VMDKs from a V-Ray 2014 backup

T_2
Level 2
Partner

We are backing up virtual servers in ESX 5.5 Using Backup Exec 2014 V-Ray edition. Some of these servers have multiple VMDK drives associated with them. Some of the drives on the servers store archive data that does not require backing up at frequent intervals.

We want to be able to create two separate jobs using V-Ray backups, one that will backup the production data and another that will run less frequently to backup the archive data. However Backup Exec does not appear to allow for individual VMDK files to be excluded from a V-Ray backup.

I would like to know if individual VMDK exclusion is supported in Backup Exec 2014, and if not, what is the best practice solution in this scenario according to Symantec.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot exclude individual vmdk's when you backup the VM as a VM, i.e. select it from the host/vCentre.  If you want to exclude certain disks, then you have to backup the VM as if it is a physical machine

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot exclude individual vmdk's when you backup the VM as a VM, i.e. select it from the host/vCentre.  If you want to exclude certain disks, then you have to backup the VM as if it is a physical machine

T_2
Level 2
Partner

There the an option to Include/Exclude when creating the backup selection list for a backup job, is there a way to use this to exclude particular VMDKs?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This KB was written for earlier versions of BE, though it still applies to BE 2014 as well.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH165214

T_2
Level 2
Partner

I had already seen that article and it does mention that there is a way to exclude individual VMDKs, but there is no process for doing so. I understand that it is not supported, however it is something I would like to test and decide if it is suitable for out use case. Is there a documented process for using the exclusion method mentioned in the article?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There isn't a documented process for BE 2014 as isn't supported. (I tried excluding in one of my test machines and this type of exclusion wasn't honored).

Best bet would be to backup such VMs as if they are physical machines using the Remote agent.