cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude single email in a mailbox from backup?

hematic
Level 2

Hi there, first post on this forum and i have been beating my head against this for a bit. A client of mine is using Veritas Backup Exec 10 for Small Business Server. He is using it exclusivley to backup exchange mailboxes for his company.

While trying to do a backup it fails with the error - Final error: 0xe000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.

At the same time there are about a hundred exceptions listed. All of them are for 2 specific emails that are in every inbox in the company. It is spitting out this error 100 times.

WARNING: "\\MN-DC1\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Karla May [kwr]Top of Information StoreSync IssuesServer FailuresŒ〰〰〰〰㜲㌶㉤愶㡢晡て㠴ぢ搳搹捥愹㉥愱挴㜰〰户㘵搵㐷扡昵晣愴㌹㍤愵㝢〹晢攷㠱〰〰〰㙡攷㘰〰〰户㘵搵㐷扡昵晣愴㌹㍤愵㝢〹晢攷㠱〰〰㄰改〱攱〰〰Fwd: iCal event invitation: Boat ride and dinner" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Is there a way to exclude these emails from backup without excluding the entire mailboxes? Also are these exclusions the cause of the failing backup?

Phillip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

One critical error will mark the whole backup as FAILED

All the rest of the data backed up by the selection list should be restoreable.  Open the Restore Selections pane, and select "media view" then find one of the Exchange backups.  Anything you see listed was backed up successfully and can be restored

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

"is a corrupt file"

is the reason for the FAILED status

AFAIK, there is no way to exclude that one EMail.  If there is no real reason to keep it, have everyone delete it, and have the originator re-issue the invitation

hematic
Level 2

So is the backup actually completing? Will it fail completely if there is a corrupt file or is there a threshold for how many files have to be corrupt before it fails?

Sorry i am new to backup exec.  Used to acronis :)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

One critical error will mark the whole backup as FAILED

All the rest of the data backed up by the selection list should be restoreable.  Open the Restore Selections pane, and select "media view" then find one of the Exchange backups.  Anything you see listed was backed up successfully and can be restored

teiva-boy
Level 6

I would suggest you use an Exchange tool to remove the offending email from the organization.  I'm pretty sure via some CLI, you can remove it.

Alternatively, Mail Security for Exchange from Symantec, which is a very very good host based Exchange scanner can do this for you too, but also protect against viruses in the Information store...