cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excludes List blank after upgrade

David_Grayston
Level 4
Hi all,

Looks like our rather extensive Excludes list is blank now. I think after we upgraded to 12.5 it was fine but in the past week or so we installed any need patches and added license codes from trial version to fully licensed. Some where along the line our Excludes list has gotten over-written with a blank one.  Is there any known problem of this happening?  Any recovery ideas?  Thanks, David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Grayston
Level 4
I was finally able to edit my excludes list -  thought was still blank and when I did edit it and add a single entry - this it blanked out all the existing entries in the database (but these werent' showing anyway). Can't say exactly what allowed me to edit it successfully but something I did because I sure couldn't when this all started.

I could see from re-quering the BEDB database and my backed up old version of BEDB that when this happenend an "AccountName" column populated with our BE system account and adjoining "AccountPassword" column also populated. I'll guess that the Exclude list must need to cache the BE system account's password and this was lost during some phase of our upgrade to 12.5.

Since I had the old BEDB backed up I could query it and view all my previous Exclude entries and just duplicate them manually into the new list. A bit of a pain but we use the Excludes list extensively and needed to get it active again and add new entries.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi David,

When you upgraded did you choose the option to maintain your DB? Which version did you upgrade from, and is your device and media set information still there?

Laters!

David_Grayston
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Craig. Yes, database appeared to be fully retained after the upgrade. Other backup selection sets, backup jobs, history, and jobs schedules were intact after the upgrade. So I was surprised to see my Excludes list empty when I went to make a modification yesterday.

The upgrade from 11d to 12.5 (trial) was completed several weeks ago but only in the past week did I apply the license codes to go from the trial to full licensed. I wouldn't think that should make any difference but that was a change. Also a number of patches were applied via the Live Update within the past week.

Ok, I just did a test full backup and interesting it appears the Excludes are being used as I know "*.mp3" is on the exclude list and the drive tested has several GB of audio files that weren't in the backup.

Huh. I wonder why when I go to Edit | Manage Selection Lists | Excludes - it is blank?

David_Grayston
Level 4

Further testing has reveiled that trying to add an entry to my blank Excludes list throws  "No selections exist for this resource" error.

There appear to be some other documented errors like this though not pertaining to the Exclude list and I don't know of those solutions are of any help.

In looking at the BE database in SQL Management Studio after some reverse-enginering and using this query:
       SELECT * FROM vwScriptPropertiesBackup WHERE ScriptID='10011001-1001-1001-0101-010101010101'
Shows that all my Exludes are still in the BE database but I guess there is some corruption that keeps the Backup Exec application from being able to acces correctly to manage the list. But I find the Excludes are correctly applied during backups.

Any help appreciated. David

David_Grayston
Level 4
I was finally able to edit my excludes list -  thought was still blank and when I did edit it and add a single entry - this it blanked out all the existing entries in the database (but these werent' showing anyway). Can't say exactly what allowed me to edit it successfully but something I did because I sure couldn't when this all started.

I could see from re-quering the BEDB database and my backed up old version of BEDB that when this happenend an "AccountName" column populated with our BE system account and adjoining "AccountPassword" column also populated. I'll guess that the Exclude list must need to cache the BE system account's password and this was lost during some phase of our upgrade to 12.5.

Since I had the old BEDB backed up I could query it and view all my previous Exclude entries and just duplicate them manually into the new list. A bit of a pain but we use the Excludes list extensively and needed to get it active again and add new entries.