cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding items BE2014

DASFTP
Level 4

I have been seeing items I exclude in backups appearing as being backed up in the restore tabs in BE2014.  Has this been an issue with others?  I verify the item is deselectd in the "browse" tab as well as the "selection details" tab. I run the backup and it still backups up the item. I see this occuring on serveral servers that I'm testing.  I found I needed unselect the whole server and then select it again in the backup job. Then deselect the item again and run the job. This worked on a few of the test jobs but it should work the first time.  I'm having to go back to jobs continually to see if my changes actually have taken affect.

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The items may not be in the backup. BE 2014 will present a view of all the files that are backed up in the backup chain. So if a file is backed up in the first incremental job and is deleted from subsequent backups, you will still see it when you expand the backup sets for the subsequent backups

DASFTP
Level 4

I currently have a "Backup-Level Exclusions" to exclude - *\*.bak [subdir].  Which I presume should exclude all .bak files on the server. I had a full backup run over the weekend.  Last night I had a differential run and the .BAK files showed up in the restore tab as being backed up on both the FULL and Diff backed up the .BAK files.  I excluded these files prior to the full backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Specifying global excludes is tricky and I think you got it wrong.  See this document on how to specify a global exclude.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29548

Although this is for an older version of BE, the essence is still the same.

DASFTP
Level 4

Thanks for the article, but I'm actually not trying to do global exclusion. I'm trying to exclude certain files from certain jobs. I used the example of .BAK files for a specific server as I have excluded it from a job, however BE2014 continually backs it up. I have also tried to deselect a few SQL database from a job. In the selection box there is a red X on the database I do not want to backup.  However, when the backup runs, I received an error message saying the job failed and shows the two database I'm trying to exclude. Maybe I just need to recreate the job. I was hoping not to do have to do this on every job that I'm trying to excluded a certain file, database or folder.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
As I said earlier, exclusions are tricky and often syntax errors are made. Unfortunately, you would just have to debug the errors yourself

DASFTP
Level 4

Maybe I didn't explain the issue well enough. There is no syntax issue. I'm simply unchecking the box next to the SQL database or folder so BE2014 won't backup the items. I will search for a work around.