cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclusions in policy based backup

PeterVroegop
Level 3

I have to backup 13 servers and created backup jobs to disk and duplicate this jobs to tape.

1 job is for a full backup once a week the other job is for a differential backup each workday.

I have problems with the backup window for the daily differential Backup

So I want to spit the daily differential backup to disk in 3 seperated jopbs wich runs at the sam time.

Test with this options shows me that this will reduce the total time for the backup with a few hours.

Because I want to duplicate the 3 jobs to tape in 1 job I created a policy.

The policy contains a selection list of the entirely backup source and 3 templates to backup the backup source in 3 parts.

Each template contains exclusions for a part of the backup source.

The design of the exclusions makes sure the complet backup source is backuped by this three templates.

The designing of this exclusions is done in de backup exec console and is a hell of a job.

Each part of each server must be selected separately. (C-drive, d-drive, sql, first storage group, system state, shadow copy)
Ans this for each server and each template. (By importing an existing template the exclusion list is empty :( )

The disging of the jobs is done now, however I see trouble by administrating changes in the future.

I'm looking for a way to select the exclusions easier. The exclusions I made contains complet servers, however the only way to select this server is by each part of this server.

Does any one know how this can made easier

9 REPLIES 9

PeterVroegop
Level 3

I tested this isue futher and discover the following issues

1. When I add an exclusion \\*\* /subdir /exclude
    The job fails, because there is total no selection to backup
    This is not a fault, but expect behavior.
  2. When I add multiply exclusions \\servername\* /subdir /exclude
    From eache server whice I suspected to be excluded will take a backup
  3. When I select an exixting exclusion for an exclusion of a remote server and choose edit I suspect the "Resource selection" path field should be fulled with the server name whice was selected. However the Resource tree select All Resource and the Resource selection Path field is filled with \\*\*. (like it is as I choose to insert a new exclusion)
    When I select a local exclusion and choose edit al fields are filled the way I suspect.

This behavior stands in the way of making the right selection/exclusion combinations whice I need to create my backup job(s) I want.

Any other suggestions to come to a solution for my problems are welcome

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are correct in that the maintenance of your scheme will be next to impossible for someone else.  In fact, if you come back to it after a while, you yourself may have problems understanding the logic behind the exclusions.

It would be better to have 3 different policies with 3 selections for each of your backups.  That way you only have to manage your selection lists.  You can still duplicate the 3 backups to one tape.  You just specify append in your duplicate jobs.

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

I agree with PKH, it´s too complicated, even for you after some time, to understand it . Why don´t you remake your jobs, not only for yourself, but for anyone else that comes after you ? And you will have better control of it too ( troubleshooting , modifying, etc ).

PeterVroegop
Level 3

You're completly right when you say the selection of the resources of the jobs will be to complex and be not not to manage.

I tested three seperatly jobs with their own selection list. This jobs and their slections are very clear.

The problem with this solution is the duplicate to tape jobs.
The first job must overwrite the tape, the second and third job must append their data ans the last job must eject the tape.
Espacialy in the future it is not clear to tell what the order of the jobs will be.

I look for a future the gives the possibility to duplicate three disk jobs in one job to tape.
Like the duplicate possibility in policies, however policy jobs works with one selection list en the necassery exclusions are not managable.

Is there an other way to create my wish or is this a feature request?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The problem with this solution is the duplicate to tape jobs.
The first job must overwrite the tape, the second and third job must append their data ans the last job must eject the tape.
Espacialy in the future it is not clear to tell what the order of the jobs will be.

You can do it the way we used to before policies were introduced

Create the first job as overwrite and in it's PostJob option, call Job2

Make Job2 an Append and in it's Post job call Job3

Make Job3 Append and include the Eject option

PeterVroegop
Level 3

You can do it the way we used to before policies were introduced
Create the first job as overwrite and in it's PostJob option, call Job2
Make Job2 an Append and in it's Post job call Job3
Make Job3 Append and include the Eject option.

In my first post I try to explain that I split one big job to three littke ones wiche will run at the same time.
I do this and save a lot of time with it.
When I use this suggestion and run the 3 jobs seperatly the total time will at least be the same as the time I needed for the original job wiche backuped the data in 1 job.

I created a work around for this "problem" by creating 1 job with a litlte data so I be sure this job will finish always at first. The duplicatie job I create for this job I give the overwrite option.
Then I create 3 jobs and divide the remaining data over it. The duplicate jobs I create for this three jobs I give the option "append to media, terminate job is no appendable media is available".

I'm disappointed that there is no option to duplicate three standalone jobs (with different selction lists) in one duplicate job. But the work around I describe above must do the job.

When everyone has an other solution I like to hear it.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

you can run the backups to disk in parallel and then schedule the duplicates so they run one at a time - which would allow the append and eject.

I would use 3 policies

Policy 1 does the initial backup to disk and then duplicates to tape with an overwrite with a rule so  that duplicate startes when the initial jobs ends

Policy 2 does a backup to disk, but then the duplicate is set to append and uses a schedule that allows enough time for the duplicate in policy 1 to have finished

Policy 3 does a backup to disk, and appends and uses a schedule that allows for the duplicate in Policy 2 to have finished and then ejects the tape at the end.

(3 selection lists as well of course)

What you probably really need is multiplexing to a single tape cartridge and we will gladly sell you NetBackup instead  if this is what you want. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH10085

PeterVroegop
Level 3

@ Colin.

Thanks for your suggestion.
However I think every solution to solve the problem I face to will give a difficult administration. For me as also for anuone who come nest to me on this site.

You suggest an other Backup Solution (netbackup) whice give the oppertunity to solve this problem on an easier way.

As technical support engeneer from symantec I want to ask you why this is not a possibility in (maybe a next version of) backupexec.

I found it a littke bite strange that backup exec give my not the the possibilty to schedule a stand alone duplicate job or duplicate more then one standalone backup jobs in one duplicate job.

The necessary technics are avalaible in the software, because an policy based duplicate job give this oppertunity.

We just paid a lot of money for the backupexec solution and an investment in an other backup product to solve this challange is not an option right now.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I found it a littke bite strange that backup exec give my not the the possibilty to schedule a stand alone duplicate job or duplicate more then one standalone backup jobs in one duplicate job.

You can do this.  Just select backup and you would see an option to define a stand-alone duplicate job and you can select all 3 of your backups at one go.  However, there is one drawback to doing a stand-alone duplicate job.  When you run each job, you have to select the backups again.  For example, Dup1 duplicates Backup1, Backup2, Backup3.  After you created Backup3, Backup4 and Backup5, then you have to create Dup2 to duplicate these backups.  If you re-use Dup1, then it will duplicate Backup1, Backup2 and Backup3.