cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired Job on Backup exec 2014 refuse to delete from the storage

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

To free space on my storage disk, i needed to delete jobs before the retention period reaches. When i expired the job from the backup exec console, within few seconds it delete automatically.

But unfortunately the size of the disk storage still remain the same, no space was freed despite the job been deleted. What can i do to free space on the disk storage after i had expired the job on the backup exec console?

I will appreciate a quick response.

Thank You

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The actual deletion of backup sets are done by DLM and the grooming cycle is done every 4 hours, so the backup sets would not be deleted immediately after you expire them.  This is by design.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have "expired" a backup set, DLM should run immediately on the Disk Storage.

Consider running an "inventory" (possibly catalog may be needed as well, if only inventory doesn't help the first time) and see if the size of the disk storage device is updated or not.

Have a look @ this KB too - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99585

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@pkh, i expired the backup set and it deleted immediately from the backup set pane but i could not see the effect on the storage disk. The size of the storage still remain the same...

@ VJware, when i expire the backup set, DLM deleted it.

Am i to click on the backup set and initialize ' inventory and catalog' or what?

secondly, i can not even see the backup set from the storage interface.

What else should i do?

VJware
Level 6

"Inventory" the storage disk and not the backup set. From the Storage tab, right-click the storage disk and choose inventory.

Colin_Weaver

Are you using deduplication as if you are, expiring a backup set in the BE console may not show up as a disk space recovery against the Windows volume (because of how deduplciation works)

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@VJware, i will try that and get back to you. Thanks so much

@ Colin, but i think i should see the effect of the expired backup set at the storage end.i.e By going to the strorage to see if the size of the disk storage has reduced. Or what do you think Colin?

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@VJware, will it be an immediate effect on the storage when i initialize ' inventory and catalog' or will it take few minutes?

And i observe that the storage is showing 'ACTIVE', could it be as a result of initializing 'inventory and catalog' or what? because presently am not running any job on the storage.

what do you suggest is the way forward.

Thanks

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I got an error.....a backup storage read/write error has occurred.

Error in detail

if the storage is a disk base, check that the staorage subsystem is functioning properly. review any system logs or vendorn specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem. you may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

VJware
Level 6

Is this a regular disk storage or a DeDupe folder ?

If write caching is enabled on this disk, do disable it.

Any errors/warnings logged under the event viewer ?

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

its a DeDupe folder, but how am i to know if caching is enabled on the disk?