cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired backup sets not deleted

pepe_lopez
Level 3
Partner

Anybody solved that problem with Expired backup sets? I can see them expired, Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets is enabled, but BE does not delete them even when there is no disk space on storage. I saw some other posts but are few month old... Besides with no solution

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry but BEDB mainteneance has NOTHING to do with when backup sets are deleted (reclaimed).

As long as not using removable media (typically RDX),  DLM reclaim activity against expired sets is attenpted by default every 4 hours (BE 2012/2014) or 1 hour BE 15 and is a recurring process where the timings start on the BEserver service startup.

On RDX the DLM relaims take place at the start of each job that writes to the cartridge

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Colin_Weaver

If this is RDX/removable storage then you need to run a backup job with the cartridge online to get the sets to be removed.

If this is either USB or RDX storage that has been offline for too long them the device will be been marked as Read Only and you need to open up the details to allow write operations (RDX default for too long = 2 weeks USB default is 4 weeks - I think)

For USB that has been detached you may also have to run an inventory & catalog jobs job when re-attaching the disk (based on recent feedback on this forum)

Failing the above points, you may need to log a support case (although make sure FP3 for BE 15 is applied before you do this.)

As an aside the option to delete all expired backup sets should only be used where you either have test sets for selections that will never be backed up again or for specific  strategy choices that means you may never backup certain sets again. Standard operation (and BEST/RECOMMENDED PRACTICE) for Backup Exec should have this setting disabled as it is a failsafe/safeguard  to always keep that last complete backup chain for a specific resource that is really there to ensure backup admins always have one valid backup even if they choose settings that would allow them to be deleted early. Note: this is different from tapes as  a tape has to be inserted in a drive and overwritten for expired data to not be restorable whereas disk sets will delete data (except in RDX) based on the expiry date. (and an regular background process that is NOT linked to BEDB maintenance)

pepe_lopez
Level 3
Partner

In my case problem was in backup type. All expired backup sets were incremental and BE will not delete them until there is new full backup. We backup Domino databases and backup type is incremental even if you select differential.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I would suggest that you check what is being backed up in your incremental backup and compare it to that of your full backup

pepe_lopez
Level 3
Partner

As we don't use Transactional logging, there is no difference between incremental and full backup. Now I set all incremental backups to full backups and BE now deletes expired sets.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am very surprise that you did not even bother to check whether you are having any space savings when you use incremental backups.

PRAVEENCRIC
Level 3

Backup Exec deletes the expired backup sets based on the BE DB maintance however you may also check the below are done 

* Check if there are no dependent backup sets are presnts, If yes adn you are not concerned about the data on the storage you may do this (Storage ->Disk storage -> backup sets -> backup sets -> Right click and expire -> Delete the dependet backup sets )

* if the backup sets are expired and still it is not geteting deleted, you may give a try by manually expring it (It worked many times in at environment ) 

* you may force the BackupExec DB mainatnce next minute and check if the BE DB mainiatece was successfull on the aduit logs and try restarting the BE service and check your luck

* If thats the only backup sets for the server, by default Be will keep the data , you may  choose this option Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets is enabled (this is not recommended) 

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH187957

* udapte the BE to 15 with FP3 as release notes says the issue is reolved in FP3  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000099842

Colin_Weaver

Sorry but BEDB mainteneance has NOTHING to do with when backup sets are deleted (reclaimed).

As long as not using removable media (typically RDX),  DLM reclaim activity against expired sets is attenpted by default every 4 hours (BE 2012/2014) or 1 hour BE 15 and is a recurring process where the timings start on the BEserver service startup.

On RDX the DLM relaims take place at the start of each job that writes to the cartridge

PRAVEENCRIC
Level 3

May be I miss understood that part, I tested DLM on my lab where I cant wait for an hour (in BE15 ) and 4 hours in (BE 2012/2014) to check the results, I made the backup sets expire and force the BEDB maintenance to take effective right away that worked. 

Anyways thanks for this update! :)  

pepe_lopez
Level 3
Partner

Take it for solved. BE behaviour was logical. BE cannot delete any incremental backups until the last one is expired and new full exists. There is specific setting for Domino databases. Even if you select differential backup it swaps to incremental. Therefore all backup sets are marked as incremental and cannot be deleted even if Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets is enabled.

HI. I know this is an old post. But I have a similar problem. Backup Exec 2015 FP5 Installed. Allow backup exec to delete all expired backup set option marked. Many SnapShot Full and SnapShor Differential expired. No dependent backup sets or dependent backup sets already expired and they are not deleted.