cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired disk backup sets not deleting

Steve_4
Level 4

Hi all,

Recently I configured disk backups to run in our environment. After a few runs I noticed that only one of the B2D jobs was filling up the NAS device by quite a few TB over what would be expected. I noticed that although I had set the job to only keep one set at a time, the expired sets were not being deleted. Now the backups are working fine, but one particular set is still lingering and will not be removed. What I have tried so far:

1. Checking/setting the registry key "DeleteLastRecoverySetsOnceExpired" is on 1
2. Checked security permissions on some of the "frozen" backup sets
3. Checked for the type of file causing the issue (Seems to be called: Mailbox Database.edb)
4. Attempted to unexpire and then expire. Would not remove the expired tag, does not show storage size in BE either.

Not sure what else I have tried as I haven't spent too much time on it.

I have not moved any of these around manually/have checked the best practice article. I suspect that this issue ocurred when the backup server was having constant crashing issues when transferring large amounts of data, I have since fixed this. Just unusual that it is only the exchange sets wich are stuck.

BE_Disk.JPG

This is causing the NAS to fill up by an extra 5-10TB which will cause issues down the track.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You will leave them as orphaned entries and you would need to log a support case so that they can be edited out. I am suggesting this so that you can can get back your disk space. Of course, you can get the support engineers to delete the bad backup set from the disk storage for you, along with the other references

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Although this method is not recommended (You should always expire a backup set), it would appear that this backup set is damaged and you can go ahead to delete it directly from the dish storage.

Steve_4
Level 4

Hi pkh,

Isn't the reason for not doing this related to catalogs and backup sets not dissapearing though? What would happen to the catalogs and backup set window after these are removed?

Thanks,

Steve

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You will leave them as orphaned entries and you would need to log a support case so that they can be edited out. I am suggesting this so that you can can get back your disk space. Of course, you can get the support engineers to delete the bad backup set from the disk storage for you, along with the other references

Steve_4
Level 4

I have noted down the name of each catalog associated with each backup set prior to deleting. If I have these exact names I could just delete manually correct? Or would this require catrebuildindex.exe? I will open a support case but thanks for the short term solution.

Kind Regards,
Steve

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can just delete the catalog files.