cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired media sets don't get deleted

Dude16
Level 4

I am doing a "backup to disk" backup with a media set overwrite protection period of 4 weeks. As each media item falls out of its protected period I expect them to be deleted but they don't. I see that they become labeled as overwritable but they keep acumulating and the disk space is not freed on my drives. What am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Media will not get deleted automatically.  This is by design.

I think your concern is why are they not re-used.  Check that you have set the following

Once this is set, your .bkf files will be overwritten before new ones are created.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to delete any of the .bkf files, you need to associate them with the Retired Media Set, then right-click on them and select Delete.  After this, you can physically delete them from your disk.

Dude16
Level 4

Will this setting propagate to all my existing jobs? I don't see this setting anywhere in the job itself.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Yes, this is a global setting.  If you want to quickly/temporarily free up disk space, you can do a quick erase on the overwritable media.  That reduces their disk usage to practically nothing.