cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Selection Lists in Backup Exec 2010 R2

mbjoe
Level 4

We are running Backup Exec 2010 R2 and I'm looking for a way to export the selection lists, is this possible?

I need to create a database of the folders/files we backup for each job and figured exporting to an excel spreadsheet would work but I don't see this option available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
To query the Backup Exec Database (BEDB) and to export the backup selection lists to an external Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet, perform the following steps:

1) Confirm that Microsoft Office Excel is installed on the media server.
2) Open the Excel application.
3) Click on the Data Menu.
4) Click on "from other sources"  then select "From SQL Server".  The Data Connection Wizard then opens up.
5) Enter the server name: BackupExecMediaServerName\BKUPEXEC
6) Select the log on credentials to "Use Windows Authentication" and click "Next".
7) Select the BEDB database.
8) Check the option "connect to a specific table".
9) Select the following view: "vwScriptPropertiesBackup".
10) Click finish on the "Save data connection file and finish" Window.
11) Click OK in the "import data" window.  This opens the Excel sheet with all the details.  "ScriptName" list the names of all the jobs including backup jobs.
14) The ScriptName column can be sorted by the DeviceSelectionName, PathName and FileName to list the selection details for folders and file level detail.

Note:  Excel must have access to SQL Database ODBC Driversfor the procedure above to be successful.  These steps also only access the database as read-only, hence the database is not changed or altered in any way.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is no direct way to export the selection lists.

You probably can export it, but you will need to dig into the database. It can be done with excel or something.

mbjoe
Level 4

I found kind of a workaround, I can copy/paste the selection lists from the Properties window.

Not as simply as exporting but it will work.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure if the below link will work for BE2010.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43218

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
To query the Backup Exec Database (BEDB) and to export the backup selection lists to an external Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet, perform the following steps:

1) Confirm that Microsoft Office Excel is installed on the media server.
2) Open the Excel application.
3) Click on the Data Menu.
4) Click on "from other sources"  then select "From SQL Server".  The Data Connection Wizard then opens up.
5) Enter the server name: BackupExecMediaServerName\BKUPEXEC
6) Select the log on credentials to "Use Windows Authentication" and click "Next".
7) Select the BEDB database.
8) Check the option "connect to a specific table".
9) Select the following view: "vwScriptPropertiesBackup".
10) Click finish on the "Save data connection file and finish" Window.
11) Click OK in the "import data" window.  This opens the Excel sheet with all the details.  "ScriptName" list the names of all the jobs including backup jobs.
14) The ScriptName column can be sorted by the DeviceSelectionName, PathName and FileName to list the selection details for folders and file level detail.

Note:  Excel must have access to SQL Database ODBC Driversfor the procedure above to be successful.  These steps also only access the database as read-only, hence the database is not changed or altered in any way.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This comes up every so often here on the boards

I think there is a thread in the Ideas area on this already, if not you could add it there.  If it gets enough "thumbs up" it may be included in a future build

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ken,

I have searched and found the idea in the forum.

For those who like to vote, here you can find the idea:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/backup-exec-job-selection-exportimport