cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export and Import Backup Exec Jobs (from 2014 to 15)

apomazkin
Level 5

Hello.
I find this way to export jobs and settings:

Get-BEBackupDefinition | Export-BEBackupDefinition > script.ps1

And in this script Powershell ISE marked string 333 as error syntax:
[CmdletBinding(DefaultParameterSetName = 'NoSelectionsParameterSet')] - unexpected tocken '[CmdletBinding in expression or statement.

Why did this happen? This is first question.

And second: to Import i do this:

& '<full_path_and_name_of_exported_settings>.ps1' -AgentServer (Get-BEAgentServer "<server_name>") | save-BEBackupdefinition

What "server_name" should I insert?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Use this KB - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH184683.html

Ideally, to export one definition, you should use -

Get-BEBackupDefinition –name <definition name> |  Export-BEBackupDefinition > c:\<somename>.ps1

But you used

You can see the difference in the two cmdlets.

And for the import, insert the agent server for which you want the backup definition to be applied to.

An easier way instead of using BEMCLI would be to run an inplace upgrade from BE 2014 to BE 15 and this will carry forward the existing jobs and settings as well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6

Use this KB - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH184683.html

Ideally, to export one definition, you should use -

Get-BEBackupDefinition –name <definition name> |  Export-BEBackupDefinition > c:\<somename>.ps1

But you used

You can see the difference in the two cmdlets.

And for the import, insert the agent server for which you want the backup definition to be applied to.

An easier way instead of using BEMCLI would be to run an inplace upgrade from BE 2014 to BE 15 and this will carry forward the existing jobs and settings as well.

apomazkin
Level 5

I must to migrate BE on vm and inplace upgrade do not help me.
Can BE agent works with BE2014 and BE15 servers at the same time?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

A BE 15 media server will work with BE 2014 agents for rolling upgrade purposes, but upgrade as soon as you get the chance to do so.

You can do an in-place upgrade of the current server to BE 15, and then migrate to the VM. Bear in mind there are contraints with using a VM as a media server (like not being supported if trying to backup to a physical device like a tape library.

Thanks!

apomazkin
Level 5

Thanks.
But I want clear installation(same old agent servers I can't remove, thay appear again. This is sad!)
I will not use tha tape library. There are anything constrains for VM?

apomazkin
Level 5

Oh!
I must define $SelectionList if I want backup only one vm?

& '.\VM vcenter vm1.ps1' -AgentServer (get-beagentserver vcenter) -SelectionList vm1 | save-BEbackupdefinition

VJware
Level 6

If not using tape storage, there are no other constraints installing BE on a VM.

You can also use this KB for migrating BE 2014 to BE 15 on new server - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH67296.html

apomazkin
Level 5

Very Thanks!

apomazkin
Level 5

To answer myself:
"Selection list are not exported and will need to be modified after import if needed. By default everything will be selected on the Selections."
Very very 
uncomfortably :(

apomazkin
Level 5

... Or $VmwareSelection

& '.\VM vcenter vm1.ps1' -AgentServer (get-beagentserver vcenter) -VmwareSelection "vm1" | save-BEbackupdefinition

WARNING: Cannot find the file "vm1" when selecting "vm1".
save-BEbackupdefinition : Backup definition 'vCenter Backup 00007' cannot be saved because it does contain valid selections.
At line:1 char:115
+ ... vm1"| save-BEbackupdefinition
+                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (BackupExec.Mana...finitionCommand:RuntimeType) [Save-BEBackupDefinition], InvalidCommand 
   ArgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoBackupSelections,BackupExec.Management.CLI.Commands.SaveBEBackupDefinitionCommand

----------------------------------------------
PS:
After same research I found, if I do this:
$a = Get-BEBackupDefinition -Name "VM vcenter vm1"
$a.SelectionList | ft -AutoSize

I get this:

AgentServer    Selections              
-----------           ----------              
vcenter           {Datacenter\vm1}

And if I Import this way:
& '.\VM vcenter vm1.ps1' -AgentServer (get-beagentserver vcenter) -VMwareSelection "Datacenter\vm1" | save-BEbackupdefinition

I'm importing true selection.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Not quite true. Pass-thru to real disks are also not supported