cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export media from tape library after job

Uncle_romania
Level 3

Hi,

Ok I have a tape library with 6 tapes loaded. The nightly backup uses two tapes and I would like these to be pushed to the mailslot when the backup is finished so that I can take them out the next day.

I initially checked the 'eject tape' box but this didn't do anything. I checked that I could manually eject from the hardware and this worked ok. I ran an inventory to update BE with the now empty slots and after a little reading found that I couldn't use eject (with is greyed out in the devices window) and I should be using export media.

As a test a manually ran an export media on one of the tapes still loaded in the auto-changer. I received a message saying 'please remove tape from slot 5'. I though that's what the export would do for me? 

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance...

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Please ensure you have got male slot to perform import or export for tape in library

Check more on same by going through below link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH34389

Hope that helps

Thanks

Uncle_romania
Level 3

I have an empty physical mail-slot on the auto-changer. I was expecting the export job to move the selected tape to the mail-slot. Instead it asks me to move the tape manually. 

There's no 'logical' mail-slot listed in Backup Exec (but I can't see one listed in the above example either) do I need one?

This is the error I get...

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What library is it?

Some libraries will move the tape from the storage slot to the mailslot and then request the user to "remove media from the portal".

Some libraries do not have a mailslot, so when an export is done, BE requests the user to "remove media from slot X".  Sometimes this involves a manual removal of a magazine to get to the tape.  Sometimes the user can use the library control to move the tape to the portal.

Please check your adamm.log file to see what BE thinks your library is.  Just because you have a mailslot physically in your library, doesn't mean that it is configured as such.  Many libraries have optional or configurable numbers of mailslots.

Here is a manual export library:

1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         16
                     Portal Slots            0
                     Import/Export           Manual

Here is an automatic export library:

1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         201
                     Portal Slots            10
                     Import/Export           Robotic

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If your library has a mailslot enabled, you would "loose" one slot.  For example, if your library has 24 slots and one of them is configured as a mailslot, you would only see 23 slots in your library in BE.

Uncle_romania
Level 3

It's a library type: CHANGER FS=1

My log file has this in it 

1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         8
                     Portal Slots            0
                     Import/Export           Manual

Can I change it so that it adds a portal (mail) slot, and the import export is set to robotic? I don't mind losing a slot if I have to, in order for this to work.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: Can I change it so that it adds a portal (mail) slot, and the import export is set to robotic?

That depends upon what library it is.  What library do you have?  Brand?  Model?

What you are asking for is dependent upon the library, so your best source of this info is the vendor docs or the vendor tech support.

Since one of your screen shots impliesd that the library is a Dell unit, I will guess that you have a Dell PV-124T.  The PV-124T does not feature robotic import/export and it doesn't not offer a dedicated mailslot.  So, if my guesss is correct, you cannot change and add a mail slot.

You can still do an export job, but it will require user interaction at the library LCD.