cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend WG Protocol Driver

Joji
Level 5

"Extend WG Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the follwoing error: The system can not find the file specified."

Server: Win2008 SP1
Running just BEWS 12.5 SP2 and SEP 11.0.5

Can anybody please tell  me how to resolve this problem? I keep getting this error message in the Events Log after a reboot.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

"Here is the information to remove the WGX driver; I'm not sure how that driver has been enabled in these systems, but it is only installed after the snac.xml (which is not in the directory any more) is dropped into the licenses directory or the full SNAC product installation. It is possibly just left over and hasn't produced errors until recently.

Since the XML does not exist on any SEPM, we don't need to do anything on the SEPM side. On the client side, the SNAC service should be stopped (manual startup) and SNAC should not appear in the SEP GUI.

1. Open Device Manager
2. Click View > Show hidden devices
3. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers and disable the Extend WG Protocol Driver

I went one step further, because I'm greatly annoyed at the fact that the above "solution" doesn't stop the System Event Logs from being spammed with the "The Extend WG Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." error:

1. Open Device Manager
2. Click View > Show hidden devices
3. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers and uninstall the Extend WG Protocol Driver
4. Open a command prompt, and run sc delete “wgx”
5. Reboot the system.