cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FS_NO_MORE when backing up VM

YonatanC
Level 5

Hi,

Lately I've been getting this error message from time to time while backing up VMs.
The message is:

Final error: 0x2000fe07 - FS_NO_MORE
   Final error category:

Backup- VMVCB::\\10.*.*.*\VCGuestVm\XXXX\XXXX\XXXX\VM-Name
   Error writing file data.

The Job log states:

Transport mode 'nbd' was used for the disk XXXX.vmdk'
   Transport mode 'nbd' was used for the disk 'XXXX_1.vmdk'
   Error writing file data
   Transport mode 'nbd' was used for the disk XXXX_2.vmdk'
   Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine '\\DNS-Name'.
   Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'D:' on virtual machine '\\DNS-Name'.
   Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'E:' on virtual machine '\\DNS-Name'.
   Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'Volume{cc71dbb6-da10-11df-ad7d-806e6f6e6963}' on virtual machine '\\DNS-Name'.

We're using Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP3
This error is from a VM backup of a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.
AOFO is disabled
GRT on the Vmware tab is enabled (But disabled for all applications).

Looking at the byte count it seems everything was backed up.

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try and debug as mentioned in this technote and see what is causing the error

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66205

YonatanC
Level 5

I'm reading the instruction on enabling logging, but it's no clear whether I need to enable the debugging on the media server itself or on the remote server that is being backed up?

Could you please clarify?

CraigV

...logging is enabled on the media server.

Thanks!

YonatanC
Level 5

OK, enabled debugging on the Media Server (although in the technote you gave me it says: "Enable debugging on all servers backed up within the failing job") so I'm confused.

Anyway I'll run the job again and we'll see.

Is it advised to leave the logging enabled or should I disable it right after the job is finished?

YonatanC
Level 5

Well, I ran the job again and ofcourse it completed successfuly, no errors... figures... :)

Can I leave the debugging on for a few days or is it going to consume lots of disk space?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

The debug gets created in Backup Exec\Logs folder. See if you have enough space there. If not clean up old log files on a regular basis.

YonatanC
Level 5

OK, the job failed again today, I searched the log according to the technote but didn't find anything they mentioned there.

Any other ideas?

(I didn't mention but this is a B2D, if it matter...)

CraigV

...have you tried to backup to tape (if you have 1!) or another B2D?

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5

Hello,

Does the virtual machine in question have updated Remote agent installed?

Regards,

S

YonatanC
Level 5

The original job was to tape. We switched to B2D a few months ago. Didn't try to tape again since.

The agents on the VM are updated to SP2, not to SP3.

But the funny thing is that it can run successfuly for weeks and than suddenly it start with this error but than it can go away after a few days by itself.

Yesterday when I ran the job manually it failed for the first time and completed successfuly the second time. and today it failed again.

Colin_Weaver

Whilst a different error message please re-enable AOFO in your VMware jobs as per

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH197384

Note 1: I know the error message is different however it is possible that different updates since we were first otified of the AOFO issue have changed the error message currently seen for the same or related conditions.

Note 2: We did not intentionally have the AOFO settings effect on VMware jobs and are still looking into the problem in TECH197384

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The agents on the VM are updated to SP2, not to SP3

The remote agents should be on the same level as the media server.  Otherwise, the fixes in the newer SP will not be available for use in the remote server.

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5

Primarily the error points to the fact that it was unable to retrieve the GRT metadata.

So once we have updated remote agent in place, we can further investigate the reason for not able to pull the metadata, by enabling the debug for the  remote agent on the guest machine.

So please update the remote agent on VM and update the status of the backup job.

Regards,

S

YonatanC
Level 5

though it was never enabled for this job,I will try to enable the AOFO and let you know, but it will be only on Sunday.

Also, yesterday the job failed again but today it completed successfuly...

YonatanC
Level 5

I will update the agents but that could only take place on the next scheduled maintenance we have next month, so...

Anyway as I mentioned the job started failing only this week and it's not failing consistently.

The Media Server was updated with SP3 about a month ago and I had no problems with this machine until now.