cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Backup Jobs - 0XE000FED1: A Failure occurred querying the Writer Status

DavidItlantian
Level 3

We're running Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 and Windows Server 2008 with Exchange 2010.

I've been unable to run an Exchange server backup and am constantly getting the error "A Failure occurred querying the Writer Status".

I've checked the VSSWriters on the exchange server in question and they are all Stable with no errors.

I scoured through the Symantec forums and haven't really come across any solutions for this error where all VSSWriters are stable with no errors.

Here is the error i'm getting from the Job History:

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\EX-01.local\Microsoft Information Store\Mailb...

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\EX-01.local\Microsoft Information Store\Mailb...

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello David,

Try rebooting your Exchange server ones and then try the backups.

Regards,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6

Hello David,

Try rebooting your Exchange server ones and then try the backups.

Regards,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you using Advanced Open File Option in your backup job? If so, turn it off as it isn't recommended for use with database backups.

Try the backup again and report back...if this works, then you can consider splitting your backups off from each other. Data backups use AOFO; database backups don't use AOFO.

Thanks!

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5

additionally check for any relevant events/errors in the event viewer of your exchange server.

Regards,

Vishal

CraigV

...what relevant errors?

The OP has checked the VSS writers on the Exchange server and they are stable.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6

Hi CraigV,

Just FYI,

OP has Exchange 2010 on Win 2008... so irrelevant of AOFO is selected or not it is always going to use VSS for backups.

Regards,

-Sush...

CraigV

Yes, I am well aware of that, but would you recommend then that the OP uses AOFO when backing up Exchange? Server 2003 also used VSS and I've been advised by Symantec technical support in the past NOT to use it...

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6

That was specific to Exchange 2003.....

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44580  : Limitations of snapshot backup of Exchange 2003 databases

Regards,

-Sush...

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5

Hello Craig,

in most of such cases, exchange specific errors are logged in the event viewer of the exchange server during the backup window.

Regards,

Vishal

DavidItlantian
Level 3

Thanks for all the input guys. We ended up just rebooting the exchange server because all other suggestions just didn't work.

Again Thanks for all the input.