cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Backups Since Hotfix

STF_Consulting
Level 3
Hello.  We recently installed the Backup Exec 12 hot fix 336718 (seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336718.htm) on our SBS2003 SP2 server.

Since that time.  We have been getting failed backups with this message :
"V-79-57344-34110 - A0F0: Initialization failure on "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used:
Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied.
To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required."

Event Viewer doesn't provided any additional information.  When the hotfix went in, we got notification that it'd require a reboot to take effect.  Thinking it was simply stuck, we rebooted the server after work hours and the same backup issue occured.  After scouring the net, we came across a link (www.symantec.com/connect/forums/access-denied-errors-and-faliure-messages) that seemed like it was exactly what we're encountering.  And the post was started at around the same time that we noticed this ongoing issue.

We tried applying the VSS Rollup Patch at the bottom of the aforementioned link and no dice.  We tried running the backup as a different user (domain admin) and the same thing.  Funny enough, we came across another post (www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Q_24996034.html) and tried running NTBackup against just the system state.  The backup  worked flawlessly.

It really seems that the initial hotfix that was installed (336718) has somehow botched the system state portion of the backup.  Is there anyone else that has encountered this that has any steps towards resolution?

Much appreciated and happy holidays!

-Dan
STF Consulting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3
My client's backup is now working. I didn't have any ghost selections that reappeared and everything else that was recommended did not work either.  The hotfix along with SP4 was installed but still experienced the issue. I created a new backup job along with a new selection list. I followed the error in the Job History log which directed me to http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339525.htm and followed that. I did not have the domain name listed along with the User name under the User Name entry.  I added the domain name and did a System State test which worked. The backup ran fine last night so my issue is fixed.

I checked when the issue started and this was listed in the Job History log. I don't recall if I clicked on it and it worked or if I clicked on it at all. I remember clicking on an error and it took me to the support website where it said nothing was available. Anyway I beleive my issue to be fixed.

Thanks for everyone's assistance on this,
Bill

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3

Dan,
I have the same problem with a client running SBS 2003 SP2. I have two updates listed for Backup Exec. The server was not rebooted until the Tuesday, December 22nd but the issue started on Monday, December 21st. I applied the VSS rollup package that I found in another Symantec forum post http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/access-denied-errors-and-faliure-messages but that did not fix the issue. I'm tempted to uninstall the last update to see if that was the cause. If I do I will post the results.

Update BEWS 12.0.1364 HOTFIX 336718 (32-BIT)  installed on 12-13-09
Update HOTFIX 331635 installed on 12-20-09

I am receiving the following Event log error for VSS when I try to backup the System state. I had one of our SQL guys look at it and he didn't have an answer. I tried to Google for an answer but I did not come up with anything viable except for Dan's post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6013
Date:  12/23/2009
Time:  10:28:04 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: SERVER01
Description:
Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e09. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 229
Error state: 5, Severity: 14
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error message: SELECT permission denied on object 'sysaltfiles', database 'master', owner 'dbo'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 2d 20 43 6f 64 65 3a 20   - Code:
0008: 53 51 4c 43 4f 4e 4e 43   SQLCONNC
0010: 30 30 30 30 30 36 33 39   00000639
0018: 2d 20 43 61 6c 6c 3a 20   - Call:
0020: 53 51 4c 43 4f 4e 4e 43   SQLCONNC
0028: 30 30 30 30 30 36 31 34   00000614
0030: 2d 20 50 49 44 3a 20 20   - PID: 
0038: 30 30 30 30 33 37 36 38   00003768
0040: 2d 20 54 49 44 3a 20 20   - TID: 
0048: 30 30 30 30 37 35 35 36   00007556
0050: 2d 20 43 4d 44 3a 20 20   - CMD: 
0058: 43 3a 5c 57 49 4e 44 4f   C:\WINDO
0060: 57 53 5c 53 79 73 74 65   WS\Syste
0068: 6d 33 32 5c 76 73 73 76   m32\vssv
0070: 63 2e 65 78 65 20 20 20   c.exe  
0078: 2d 20 55 73 65 72 3a 20   - User:
0080: 4e 54 20 41 55 54 48 4f   NT AUTHO
0088: 52 49 54 59 5c 53 59 53   RITY\SYS
0090: 54 45 4d 20 20 20 20 20   TEM    
0098: 2d 20 53 69 64 3a 20 20   - Sid: 
00a0: 53 2d 31 2d 35 2d 31 38   S-1-5-18
------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
Bill

STF_Consulting
Level 3
Hey Bill.  Definitely keep me posted if you uninstall the hotfix and it works.  I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about this, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.  :p

For the time being, we may just pull off System State in the backup selection, so we at least get some full backups and there isn't so much red in the Job History.

-Dan

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3
Dan,
I'm going to uninstall the last hotfix tonight. I just got the OK from the client so we shall see if that fixes it. I'll try to post after I do it. Worst case it would be tomorrow morning.

Bill

STF_Consulting
Level 3
Good luck.  I'll cross my fingers for ya.  :p

-Dan

Bryan_Gates
Level 2
I am also having the exact same issue here after applying that hotfix.  I am uninstalling the hotfix as I type this and going to let it run tonight and see what happens.  I will post my outcome when I come back to work on Monday.  Crossing my fingers!

Bryan_Gates
Level 2
Just uninstalled the hotfix, ran a backup on just the system state and volume shadow copy to test, and it worked.  Just running these 2 would fail the job after that hotfix.  With any luck, the complete backup scheduled for this evening will go without any hiccups!

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3
Dan and Bryan,
I just uninstalled the 331635 hotfix, ran a system state backup and it worked without failing. I believe we found the workaround to our problem for now. My client's backup won't finish until 5 am so I will post my results tomorrow. One other thing I turned off the automatic liveupdate for Backup Exec. If that wouldn't have been enabled the backup would have been running fine.

Bill

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I actually sat in a course last year where we were taken through BEWS 11D...anyways, the instructor told us outright NOT to use LiveUpdate for the very reason that it would download and install updates that hadn't been tested.
I have always ensured that this was followed in our environment, and use a server to test any updates/Service packs. I actually only install the SPs, with hotfixes if requested by Symantec support.

jerzmanw
Level 2
The hotfix did cause the problem, but you can fix it by just adding the user account that is running the backup to the "Backup Operators" group. Of course, they still need to be in the "Administrators" and "Domain Admins" groups as well.
I hope this helps!

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3
Dan and Bryan,
The backup ran and did not fail with the hotfix removed. I will add the BE user account to the Backup Operators group and reinstall the hotfix. I find it a little strange that you have to add the BE user to that group now when you never had to do it before.

Dev-t,
The VSS update does not work, I tried it. I have seen you give that answer before and I repeat,"THE VSS UPDATE DOES NOT WORK." It may work on other issues but it does not work for this one.

Bill

P.S. Hey is anyone from Symantec going to respsond?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Got to be something wrong with that hotfix if you have to add it to the Backup Operators group as well. A person would think that adding a service account into Local Admins gives the necessary rights...?

Bryan_Gates
Level 2
Well, after the removal of 331635 hotfix, I do not get the admin rights error anymore.  However there seems to be a new error failing the backup that was not present before I installed the hotfix.  This only gets more confusing as I removed the hotfix and therefore should be back to where I was sitting before with successful backups.  I get the following "Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of BAckup Exec.".  Has anyone else seen this after removing the hotfix?

STF_Consulting
Level 3
Bill (and all others on this thread) -

Rather than removing the hotfix, I took jerzmanw's suggestion and added our backup user account to "Backup Operators" and that did the trick!  No hotfix uninstallation necessary.  Apparently even being a member of Domain Admins isn't a high enough privledge after this hotfix.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this.  But to re-iterate, add "Backup Operators" to your Backup Exec account in AD and you're golden.

Thanks!

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 I feel stupid doing the "Backup Operators" stuff. But I´ll try it.

I already figured out that the problem was the hot fix and was unsing a workaround:

Have server and other things along system state to run on same backup fails. Run server and other things without system state runs ok. Run system state alone also works fine.

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3
Everyone,
I have added the BE user to Backup Operator's group but I have not reinstalled the patch yet. I will do it again but I think it's BS that you have to add it the user to B.O.G because of a patch. What's the next patch going to require you remove the user from the B.O.G. in order to work!?!?

Bryan - I'm guessing your fix will be adding the user to the Backup Operators group. I would do that first then reinstall the latest patches and maybe your backup will work again. I can't guarantee that will work so do it at your own risk but that is what I would do.

I will test and add my results later, might as well keep this thread going. ;)

Bill

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 It did not work.

I´ll remove the patch and bring the results

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 After remove the hotfix it is running back again.

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3
Adding the user to the B.O.G along with the patch did not work for me either. I have the same access is denied error. I'm going to remove the patch again for now because that is the only way that Backup Exec has worked without issue.

Bill

Bryan_Gates
Level 2
Finally figured it out yesterday.  When I removed the hotfix that caused the access errors, somehow a backup entry that was removed about 3 months ago got put back in the backup job.  This makes no sense whatsoever.  It was for a SQL backup that we tested for a month back in October and then removed the agent from Backup Exec.  For some reason, installing this hotfix and then uninstalling put the SQL backup entry back in.  At any rate, with the hotfix and the sql entries, we are running normal again.  Thanks for all the help.  I guess lesson learned in regards to these hotfixes.  "Don't fix it if it isn't broke"