cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Backups Since Hotfix

STF_Consulting
Level 3
Hello.  We recently installed the Backup Exec 12 hot fix 336718 (seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336718.htm) on our SBS2003 SP2 server.

Since that time.  We have been getting failed backups with this message :
"V-79-57344-34110 - A0F0: Initialization failure on "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used:
Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied.
To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required."

Event Viewer doesn't provided any additional information.  When the hotfix went in, we got notification that it'd require a reboot to take effect.  Thinking it was simply stuck, we rebooted the server after work hours and the same backup issue occured.  After scouring the net, we came across a link (www.symantec.com/connect/forums/access-denied-errors-and-faliure-messages) that seemed like it was exactly what we're encountering.  And the post was started at around the same time that we noticed this ongoing issue.

We tried applying the VSS Rollup Patch at the bottom of the aforementioned link and no dice.  We tried running the backup as a different user (domain admin) and the same thing.  Funny enough, we came across another post (www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Q_24996034.html) and tried running NTBackup against just the system state.  The backup  worked flawlessly.

It really seems that the initial hotfix that was installed (336718) has somehow botched the system state portion of the backup.  Is there anyone else that has encountered this that has any steps towards resolution?

Much appreciated and happy holidays!

-Dan
STF Consulting

21 REPLIES 21

Bryan_Bentz
Level 3
My client's backup is now working. I didn't have any ghost selections that reappeared and everything else that was recommended did not work either.  The hotfix along with SP4 was installed but still experienced the issue. I created a new backup job along with a new selection list. I followed the error in the Job History log which directed me to http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339525.htm and followed that. I did not have the domain name listed along with the User name under the User Name entry.  I added the domain name and did a System State test which worked. The backup ran fine last night so my issue is fixed.

I checked when the issue started and this was listed in the Job History log. I don't recall if I clicked on it and it worked or if I clicked on it at all. I remember clicking on an error and it took me to the support website where it said nothing was available. Anyway I beleive my issue to be fixed.

Thanks for everyone's assistance on this,
Bill

Dev_T
Level 6
--