cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed VM backups to dedupe disk storage: Daily Incrementals "Not supported"? How do u do incrementals then?

Maxgeo
Level 4

So we do weekly fulls to dedupe disk, and daily incrementals over our VM/iSCSI/SAN network. Now i understand how dedupe works on disk, but how does BE 2012 handle incrementals then? I went with the default set up when creating the job for our whole ESX environment, which set up weekly full and daily incrementals to disk, but daily's are returning this error:

Server: "backup_server") (Job: "esx01 Backup 00074-Incremental") esx011 Backup 00074-Incremental -- The job failed with the following error: Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM. The backup job failed, since the option 'to fall back to a full backup' was not selected. ".

So what should i do for daily's then? Just run full bakcup and let the RAW dedupe at the source? Will it still have to quiesce the whole snapshot for EVERY VM?

Optimal solution in this scenario?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you seen this document?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188713

Morgster79
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Have you got the latest two hotfixes installed after SP1a? I think that resolves this bug.

Maxgeo
Level 4

excellent thanks guys, will see how i go. +1 to you both

Maxgeo
Level 4

installed the 2 hotfixes mentioned and a couple of others, ran liveupdate, installed windows updates and still getting below:

Job ended: Wednesday, 22 August 2012 at 4:10:42 AM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00095b4 - Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM. The backup job failed, since the option 'to fall back to a full backup' was not selected. Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

It would be good if you open a case with support so resolve this further. Post the update once it is fixed

Thanks