cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to Connect - GRT Error Message

JVanDerZee
Level 3

Hello Folks,

Using Backup Exec 2012 with SP4.  Running into two issues and would very much appreciate any help.

Issue 1:

After every backup the following event is logged for one of my servers: 

V-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec failed to connect to virtual machine 'SERVERNAME' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup. You must install the Agent for Windows and the virtual machine tools provided by your host software on the virtual machine.

These are some of the steps to troubleshoot:

1. Remote Agent for Windows Servers is not installed or is installed however the Backup exec remote agent service is not started on the Virtual Machine
2. GRT is disabled for an application.
3. Backup Exec cannot connect to the virtual machine.
4. Incorrect credentials were entered for the virtual machine.

NOTE:  The two most common issue for that generate this exception are no Backup Exec remote agent installed inside the Virtual machine or Incorrect credentials are supplied to connect to the Virtual machine.  If the Virtual Machine is in a workgroup or different domain than the Vmware Host or Hyper-V host and the wrong credentials are supplied for the Virtual machine the job will complete with the exception.

I have installed the new remote client on this server after my SP4 install and the credentials test successfully, but the issues remains.  Just wanted some clear concise steps of where to go from here.

Thank you in advance!

Jonathan

20 REPLIES 20

SABIS
Level 3

Same issue here with Hyperv-V as well after installing SP4 on BE 2012.

Cannot backup any virtual machine anymore. BE service suddenly stops working