cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to connect to virtual machine

drazel
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I use Backup Exec 2010 fully updated with my Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V server that runs all my virtual machines. The virtual machines uses Windows Operation Systems from 2003 to 2008 R2. Some are webservers and some are domain controllers etc.

The thing is my backup server is in one domain, the Hyper-V host server in another and the virtual machines in a third domain.
So when i create the backup job with GRT-enabled i give the hyper-v hosts its credentials. But i don't see any option to give credentials to the virtual machines.

So the backup status is:
Completed with exceptions:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\(hostservername)\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\(Virutalmachine name)
V-79-57344-38730 - Backup Exec failed to authenticate with virtual machine 'Virtualmachine name' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

I guess their is a way around this. So i don't need dubble backups. Both from the host server and the virtualmachine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

You'd look at creating the service accounts you use for Backup Exec in those other domains on your local server. This will allow you to connect (after it prompts you).
Once done, do a push installation of the RAWS agent onto that VM server, using the credentials of the account you have created on your media server.
Try it again, and post the results...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Hi,

You'd look at creating the service accounts you use for Backup Exec in those other domains on your local server. This will allow you to connect (after it prompts you).
Once done, do a push installation of the RAWS agent onto that VM server, using the credentials of the account you have created on your media server.
Try it again, and post the results...

Thanks!

drazel
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Great idea! Testing it out tonight and will give a more informative feedback.

drazel
Level 2
Partner Accredited
It worked! Making a backup user with the same credentials on all the servers and domains makes this possible.
Thanks GraigV

CraigV
No problems...glad to have helped!