cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

Tallwood6
Level 3

A number of our esxi 5.0 virtual machines have started checking up the error message:

V-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

When performing incremental backups, full backups have been fine. I've run backups without Advanced File Open run jobs to backup just the affected virtual machines, rebooted everything from VMs to hosts to the backup exec server. Agent based backups of the servers in question are fine and the backups where working fine a couple of weeks ago any suggestions anyone?

14 REPLIES 14

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have this hotfix installed:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180964

It fixes this issue:

- Backup of a virtual machine using the Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) completes with the following exception when GRT is enabled: "V-79-57344-38721- Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images" (TECH179734)

Tallwood6
Level 3

Yep hotfix is already installed.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Does the VM in question has independent disks ?

Tallwood6
Level 3

Nope no independent disks and there are no outstanding snapshots on any of the VM's either.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you creating a backup through vCenter ?
If so, can you please try to create a backup directly through the ESX host, to see if that works.

Tallwood6
Level 3

I can give it a try but its backing up other servers on the same host fine through vCenter.

Jirka
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have a same problem. Hotfix 180964 is installed. I backing up about 130 VMs. One of this is ending with this exception every time of Full or incremental backup. Many other VMs caused this exceptions randomly. Backup is over SAN. I exclude one problematic VM to separate job and try to setting it to use NBD. Backup jobs ending with same exception again.

Does it make sense to send issue to support?

Tallwood6
Level 3

I've been working with support on this and i have it working but as long as I dont use SQL GRT. I'm using the SAN & NBD transport modes. Support have been next to useless in actually calling me or updating the call so i've not progressed much further.

Also having occasional issues with the snapshots just freezing and i have to manaully cancel them and consolidate the vms.

lmosla
Level 6

On the backup jobs for virtual machines with GRT enabled the Backu Exec Agent needs to be installed.  Please see this http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74443

Tallwood6
Level 3
Agent is installed it will do GRT backups of AD, SQL seems to cause issues.

Tallwood6
Level 3

Trying to replicate the issue in a sperate job at the moment but replicate the issue with SQL GRT. Getting a little bit tired of both the product and support, i dont have much faith in the virtual backups and am wondering if i should just switch to agent based backups for each VM.

lmosla
Level 6

There is a hotfix that you need to istall.  It has just been released this morning http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH199866

Keep me updated.

psj_symhelp
Level 4
Partner Accredited

run the live update on media server to apply all hotfix. update remote agent on remote server.

try to run backup and check.

if problem not solve share job log for troubleshutting.

King_Julien
Level 5

Got the same problem here, the backups were working fine and then suddenly this last monday started to fail, I changed from hot add to ndb and nothing change, I just launched the backup without GRT for Exchange, let's see what happens.

There were no changes in the enviroment, in fact we were happy because the backups were working fine, "if it's working, don't touch it".