cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to receive email notification from Backup Exec 2010

Favor_Liu
Level 3

Friends,

I have a Backup Exec 2010 installed on VMware virutal server 2008 R2.  I enabled and configured SMTP mail server without "Enable SMTP Authentication". But no email was received. Also I could send email from telnet command line. I confirmed that configuration of noticiation was correct after compared with other same version Backup 2010 on other servers(I have several phyfical servers on hand as well and notification worked well on them).

Confused where I missed. Please help. Thank you in advance.

18 REPLIES 18

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Although it is more hardware-related, it not recommended that you use a VM for a media server.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

Sergio_Maroni
Level 4

Do you have any error or alert when try send mail ?

yusufusmani
Level 4

ALso Check if Antivirus is blocking the "beserver.exe".

I had same issue in past where McAfee On-Access Scan was blocking "beserver.exe" as mass mailing worm. After excluting the beserver.exe form On-Access Scan it worked.

Please check it could be one of the reasons.

Note: Please avoide using BE Media Server on Virtual Machine, as said above, its not recommended

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You need to authenticate. How else will it access the Exchange server? You can create a "fake" mail address (it really is just a ghost address), but your user name should be the same as the BESA account.

So: DOMAIN\BESA_Account and then put in the password. You can then run a test mail and it should work.

Thanks!

Favor_Liu
Level 3

No error. Prompt: A test notification has been queued for delivery to the selected recipient. Gone.

Favor_Liu
Level 3

Thanks for information. I confirmed anti-virus did not block mail. Not sure if problem was caused by virutal server. How can I check that?

CraigV

...in this case it's not the issue with BE running on a VM. Something in your setup is preventing an SMTP connection from BE to the Exchange server...this is not VM/hardware dependant.

Check your authentication and put in the BESA account's details. Make sure it has an active mailbox on the Exchange server too.

Favor_Liu
Level 3

Unfortunately, I tired what you suggested but did not help. frown

CraigV

...have you made sure there is no firewall that might be blocking access?

yusufusmani
Level 4

There must be somthing configured, please check the following proberly.

- email address - the email address you are using is it active or have access to send emails?

- Port - are u usnig correct SMTP port configured on mail server?

- SMTP Authentication - have your tried using this option?

- Check your firewall if SMTP port is opened for this server?

- Have you tried disabling antivirus or removing it for the server?

- Do you have IIS installed on this server?

Friend.. there is definitely somthing blocking BE to send notifications.

yusufusmani
Level 4

if your smtp server is uses port 25, may be port 25 is in use on this server by other application.

Plase check netstat from cmd.

CraigV

Hi,

This has all been mentioned.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is there a log file created "X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Sender Name_SMTP.txt" ?

Also, do uncheck "Limit the number of notifications sent " from Tools - Recipients - Properties

Favor_Liu
Level 3

Thanks for reply. Yes, SMTP.txt file was generated and prompted send failure. No reason was mentioned. Also I did not check the option you mentioned. 

Favor_Liu
Level 3

sorry input wrong place. pls ignore.

Favor_Liu
Level 3

- email address - the email address you are using is it active or have access to send emails?

Yes.

- Port - are u usnig correct SMTP port configured on mail server?

Yes, 25.

- SMTP Authentication - have your tried using this option?

Tried but no help.

- Check your firewall if SMTP port is opened for this server?

Yes.

- Have you tried disabling antivirus or removing it for the server?

Exception file, folder and process were added into anti-virus tools. I did not have authorization to remove or disable it.

- Do you have IIS installed on this server?

Yes.

yusufusmani
Level 4

You Said you have IIS installed on this Server! rite?

Does the IIS have SMTP Services installed, if yes then thats should be the cause of the issue.

try disabling IIS.. and test mail from BE.

ankurvvvv
Level 1

Hi Liu,

Did you for solution for this issue?

I'm currently experiencing this same issue and everything is checked what others had mentioned in this discussion.

Let me know how you resolved this.

Thanks,

AnkurV.