cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing backup with e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.

MBainbridge
Level 2
I'm using BEWS 10d+SP2 to backup a local server and 3 remote servers. One of the remote servers (Win2k Server, with McAfee ePO 3.61) now refuses to backup cleanly. The job log shows the error:

Network control connection is established between 10.4.187.241:3288 <--> 10.4.187.1:10000
Network data connection is established between 10.4.187.241:3292 <--> 10.4.187.1:2467
Unable to attach to NCLTW-PRS0002.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

But then looking at the component parts for PRS0002's backup, it seems to succeed.

I've read Document 266177, so going through the points:

1) The account is valid, and a member of local admins on the remote server. The same account is used to back up the other servers.

2) See 1)

3) The server is definitely there, and there are no suspicious errors in the Event logs.

4) Remote Agent is started, there is no firewall on the machine. I've unchecked the SQL server option, but the same error is thrown for the system state and c:.

5) I've removed and re-installed the Remote Agent.

6) The agent should be current, since it was installed from the server.

Anyone any ideas?

update: while typing this, I've been using VxMon on PRS0002 to see what's happening. The log file (amongst other things) shows this:

first load attempt of esebcli2.dll failed: The specified module could not be found.

and eventually, this dll isn't loaded. Then there's this:

ERROR: CreateBSD: Couldn't find NCLTW-PRS0002
startBackup: CreateBSD() failed!

I don't have an SQL agent on this server (it's only ePO; I can rebuild it if something happens) but it's never bothered it in the past...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MBainbridge
Level 2
OK, I'll answer my own question.

Somehow the backup list got corrupted. There was a rogue entry for PRS0002 at the end of the backup selection list. This didn't show up in the graphical version, but it did show in the text view. Deleting this entry cured the problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

The error 'a000848c' may occur if the logon account does not have sufficient rights to connect Reason 1: The user account specified in Backup Exec to backup/restore the resource does not exist on the resource being backed up/restored.

Solution: Verify the user account specified exists on the resource being backed up/restored. Edit the backup/restore job on the Job Setup tab and select Resource Credentials. Verify the user account listed next to the resource exists on the resource being backed up/restored.

Reason 2: The password for the user account specified in Backup Exec to backup/restore the resource is incorrect.

Solution: Verify the password for the user account specified is correct. In Backup Exec, edit the backup/restore job on the Job Setup tab, select Resource Credentials and select the "Change"button. Select the "Backup Exec Logon Account"used to backup/restore the resource and select the "Edit"button. Select the "Change password"button and retype in the password for the user account. Make sure the password typed in matches the password for the user account on the resource being backed up/restored.

Reason 3: The resource the backup/restore job is trying to attach to is offline or no longer exists.

Solution: Verify the resource being backed up/restored exists and is online. In order to resolve the issue, please create a new Backup Exec logon account to connect to the resource.

Refer to the following technote on how to create a logon account in order to protect resources to backup.

Title: " How to change the logon account for a resource selected for back up. "

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/250649.htm

Thank You,

Shweta

MBainbridge
Level 2
Hi,

1) The login account is a domain account common across all servers, and is a local admin on each machine.

2) The password is correct because it works on the other servers I'm backing up.

3) The server is definitely connected to the network - it's our print server, and its absence would be noticed fairly quickly :) The remote agent is running on the machine, and it has been restarted several times.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome. Getting rather fed up with every single backup job failing, even though it appears to back up all the files :(

Regards,
--
Marcus

MBainbridge
Level 2
OK, I'll answer my own question.

Somehow the backup list got corrupted. There was a rogue entry for PRS0002 at the end of the backup selection list. This didn't show up in the graphical version, but it did show in the text view. Deleting this entry cured the problem.