cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing backups after BE 2012 SP2 update

Guyatmgx
Level 3

Hi,

I recently updated our BE 2012 SP1 installation to SP2 to have Server 2012 support as well as Exchange 2013. Hard to believe but this has always worked OK for us until after the upgrade.

Since we upgraded to SP2 of BE 2012 we are getting verify errors when running certain backups. This only seems to happen on Windows Server 2012 servers that also have the SP2 version of the agent installed.
The servers are VMs on VMWare vSphere. The error we are getting is "The job failed with the following error: A checksum of the data has failed.".
We are doing a backup to tape to a HP Autoloader 1/8 G2 with the latest firmware. I also took a look at KB article V-79-57344-65076 but that does not help.
The servers we backup that still use the SP1 version of the agent are not having this problem.

I opened a case on monday morning for this on the Symantec site but uptil now there has been no reponse whatsoever. I must say that Symantec support is just plain horrible. If you try entering or managing cases on the mysymantec site you keep getting the runaround. I keep getting mails that verification needs to be done by Symantec to see if I have access to the case. A case that I created myself. Strange. Phoning them to get more info about the case got me nowhere. So now I'm posting the problem here in the hope that someone can help.

9 REPLIES 9

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are your backups targeting a partition or certain tapes?? is it possible that the media may have issue?? could you please try performing an erase on the tape and then reruning the job... Better yet if you have a new tape that can be targeted please do so and report the result

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Guy, 

  On rereading your post i have a few more questions to ask. You wrote that the backup of server 2012 and exchange 2013 worked prior to upgrading to SP2. Prior to SP2 these were unsupported so im curious as to how you were able to get them to perform. Did you just install the remote agent or did you have to make configuration adjustments/ registry edits to get them to backup correctly? Additionally when you upgraded to SP2 did you simply push the agent out to the remote machines "Upgrading the agents "or did you uninstall the agent and then reinstall. If you upgraded the agent it is possible that there may have been some type of coruption, you may want to try completely uninstalling the remote agent and then reinstalling the agent and running the backup.  

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Hi Guy,

Our sincere Applogies on the support Case Not being Contacted.

Would you be able to post the Case number please?

 

Kind regards,

Arul prasad R

 

 

Guyatmgx
Level 3

It is case number 04950604. In the meantime someone contacted me after I called the local Symantec support number. It is however very confusing to follow up via mysymantec. Every time I try to manage the case it creates a new case and I can never see my already created case and see what has been done.

Guyatmgx
Level 3

Hi Donald,

Before SP2 we only backed up Server 2008 R2 servers and Exchange 2010. This has always worked fine and we had almost no failing backups. Since SP2 is out and the BE server being upgraded to it, we started with Exchange 2013 and are in the middle of migrating. We also have some Server 2012 machines that are also on SP2 agents and are having failed jobs, not every day but lets say every other day. So 50% of those backups are failing at the verify step. This only happens on the Server 2012 machines. Our 2008 R2 machines, which still have the SP1 agent are still working fine.

Recently I'm starting to see another error an one of the Server 2012 machines. The error is "The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors". However, this machine has no network errors. Our monitoring software gives no alerts on this server and there are no event logs that indicate network problems.

Guyatmgx
Level 3

An  additional comment to my last post about the network error. The backup and verify actually seem to be OK. I see that in the job log. But still I'm seeing this error before the job completes completely.

Guyatmgx
Level 3

Hi Donald,

Some additional info. Before we started migrating to Exchange 2013, our Exchange 2010 was upgraded to SP3. This also needs the SP2 version of the BE agent so we upgraded it to SP2. This machine is still a Server 2008 R2 machine. The backups are OK everyday since the upgrade. So I think we can safely say that the problem is a combination of Server 2012 with the SP2 version of the BE agent.

Guyatmgx
Level 3

Since we started erasing the tapes before backing up (the ones that were used before the update to SP2) we are not getting the problem anymore.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Glad to hear that your seeing successes but you should not have to run an erase job prior to every job running. Please allow the job to run without running the erase job and report the result.