cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to exclude Hyper-V VM images (BE2014)

norbertg
Level 5

I've tried to exclude the Hyper-V VM's but it keeps backing up to tape :(

We don't have the Hyper-V agent installed, instead backup the VM via Windows backup to disk then to tape.

Can I have some help please?

hyperv.png

backupset.png

12 REPLIES 12

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How were the exclusions added ? Did you first completely select the server and deselect the unrequired folder or did you do it another way ?

Have you tried creating a new job for just this server with the exclusion to rule out any job corruption issues ?

norbertg
Level 5

I edited the job and exlcuded it via the insert option. I selected Hyper-V directory as per screenshot 1 and choose to exclude the directory.

The server was selected for backup then the directory was manually excluded.

I haven't tried a seperate job yet.

VJware
Level 6

Try creating a new backup for just this server. And select the whole server and manually deselect the directories which are not required for backup. (Do not explicitly add it as an exclusion, rather just deselect them from the selections)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Wouldn't this turn off SDR?

norbertg
Level 5

I'm currently backing up the server to disk and deselected the Hyper-V via the exclusion option.

I'll give it ago the other way next.

norbertg
Level 5

I've just had a look at the full backup job again and it has an X next to the hyper-v directory. I'm still waiting for the backup to finish to disk before trying your backup suggestion VJ.

backup_selection_HyperV.png

norbertg
Level 5

I've cancelled the job as it was taking forever to backup the server. The server in question is the BE media server and was backing up the E drive (wsus content) to a section of the E drive where the backup set was to be located.

I've edited the full job and deselected the server from backing up and clicked ok to accept the changes. Went back into the job and reselected the server and excluded the BE directories and Hyper-V directory as per your suggestion VJ. Will see how it goes overnight.

Going back in and taking off the settings and reaplying seems to have fixed the email issues I had earlier:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/no-longer-receiving-job-successfailure-emails-be-2014

norbertg
Level 5

The full job overnight is still running but the Hyper-V directory has backed up to tape again :(

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend you to log a formal support case so that we can have a closer look @ the selections and the exclusions set.

norbertg
Level 5

Thanks unfortunately the backup's are running late into the afternoon, makes doing any troubleshooting difficulty at present.

Edit: logged a fault with support.

VJware
Level 6

Great, would you PM me the case number as well. Thanks.

norbertg
Level 5

Sure thing, if I get a solution I will also post it here as well.