cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Father/son strategy on BE2012

riboulki
Level 2

Hi,

I have to define the best strategy for keeping offsite my weekly backup as follow :
Retention for 15 days, rotation with two media sets. The point is that i have to keep offsite not only the full backup but all backup from last week days.
All with minimum tapes and administration for my support team

I'm trying to achieve the following strategy on Overland neo2000, 1 magazine, BE2012 W2k8R2SP1, 4To full, 60Go changes each day :

First media set :
First full then Differential from Monday to Friday to keep all days backup delta.
Friday evening waiting for last diff then getting the tapes out for a week with OPP 2W and AP 1 W

Second Media set :
Begin Saturday with Full backup then Diff from monday to friday
and so on

Schedule for 1rst media set (partition library) :
FULL : Every 2 weeks on saturday at 08AM
DIFF : Every 2 weeks on Monday to Friday at 11PM

Schedule for Second media set (partition library) :
FULL begin a week after first media set: Every 2 weeks on saturday at 08AM
DIFF : Every 2 weeks on Monday to Friday at 11PM

Is this OK ?

I'm a little confuse with "conventionnal" FS strategy which consist of doing the full on friday and taking it offsite because if i do that, the next full will occur monday with the next diff resulting of having two full backup occuring between friday and monday which not feet to my backup window (about 22 hours to complete one full)

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

riboulki
Level 2

Nobody ?

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you reviewed following technote?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73340

Thanks,

Riyaj

riboulki
Level 2

Yes i rewiewed this technote and it's why i wrote that i'm little confuse because doing the full on friday and taking it offsite let me thinking that a new  full will occur monday with the next diff resulting of having two full backup occuring between friday and monday which not feet to my backup window (about 22 hours to complete one full).