cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Backups are very slow

sachitha
Level 4

Hi All,

I have concern about my file server backups. First I will explain my setup. I have 12 remote file servers and all these file servers are replicating to a NAS (Iomega) using Symantec CPS (continus protection server). file repositary comprises approx 2TB (1.5 Million files) of data. Mainly I have two major concerns and I will list down as follows.

1.) Backups take more than 36 hours to complete (Full backup). Average through put is 950 MB/Min

2.) Even I schedule differential or incremental backups, it runs a full backup of the files

Please help me to over come this issue.

Note:- I'm backing up my exchange server which comprises 2.5TB within 8-10 hours and it's in a IBM SAN.

Regs,

Sachitha.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To implement a Full-Incremental or a Full-Differential backup strategy, backups should be done using the modified time rather than archive bit.

Verbatim from TECH63369

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB

I guess 1.5 million files is the cause for slow backups.

The total number of files on a disk and the relative size of each file impacts backup performance. Fastest backups occur when the disk contains fewer large size files. Slowest backups occur when the disk contains thousands of small files. A large number of files located in the same directory path back up more efficiently than backing them up from multiple directory locations.

Above statement is quoted in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49521

sachitha
Level 4

Hi All,

Anyone knows the casue for my second concern.

Regs,

Sachitha.

AmolB

What backup method you are using for the Full and Inc\Diff backup.

Is its using archive bit or modified time?

sachitha
Level 4

Hi AmolZeroCool,

We are using archive bit.

Regs,

Sachitha.

VJware
Level 6

To implement a Full-Incremental or a Full-Differential backup strategy, backups should be done using the modified time rather than archive bit.

Verbatim from TECH63369