cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File and Folder Recovery using GRT

JacobCrow
Level 4

I may not fully understand the GRT capabilities.  I do a full backup of an ESX VM host box that has a few VM guest servers.  One is a file server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.  The settings for the backup up job include checking enable GRT.  The problem I have is that if I want to restore an indivdual file or folder for the VM guest file server I cannot see files or folders for that server.  Is there a setting I am missing or must I backup the individual VM file server?  I can see the granularity with the exchange server but not the file server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

GRT feature only works for supported Windows OS

True. Even BE 2012 SP2 does not support GRT of Server 2012 VM's.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

lmosla
Level 6

Do have the Remote Agent for windows installed on the virtual machine?

see this document: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74443

JacobCrow
Level 4

Yes, the remote agent is installed.  I am able to backup the individual VM server directly.  I had to do that to make sure I had a backup uf that data.  I just thought that GRT technology would eliminate the need to do a separate backup for the individual VM.

JacobCrow
Level 4

Let me try to illustrate what I am trying to do.  I have a files server ABC that is a VM on my ESX host.  I do a full backup of the ESX host.  When I browse the ESX in the backup job ABC is one of the VM servers listed.  I have the Remote Agent for windows installed on ABC.  I have the required use GRT boxes checked in the ESX backup job.  When I try to do a restore of a file to ABC no file/folder selections are available from the ESX backup.

JacobCrow
Level 4

P.S.  I am pointing to server ABC when I click the restore wizard.  There is no granular data available for the file server like there is for exchange email messages for example.

lmosla
Level 6

Make sure Backup Exec is fully patched with Live Updates and the remote servers are patched to the same level. Try removing and then readding the server from the list and when you readd it use the FQDN. 

JacobCrow
Level 4

Thanks Imosia.  I will try your suggestions tomorrow AM.  I will let you know how it goes.

Regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See my article below on how to restore your individual files.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-individual-filesfolders-vm-backup

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

While restoring are you selecting the Server ABC from the Backup/Restore tab. Select it and then run the restore, you should be able to view the files.

Also, what is the OS on this file server. GRT feature only works for supported Windows OS.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

GRT feature only works for supported Windows OS

True. Even BE 2012 SP2 does not support GRT of Server 2012 VM's.

JacobCrow
Level 4

The VM server in question is Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

JacobCrow
Level 4

After I run the ESX backup the DNS server does not show up as in your aricle.  e.g., my server is ABC.local.  I do not get a 2K8ABC.local appearing in my server list.  I added the server myself as ABC.local because I was not getting the granularity I needed.  Some additional information I just discovered after digging a little more:  I do see granularity for the C: drive on the server, but not for the D: drive.  Do you have any idea why that would be?  The D: drive contains the file/folder shares that I would be more likely need to restore for a user.  

JacobCrow
Level 4

In all cases the only drives that show up are the C: drives when it comes to granulare detail from a ESX backup.  Is there a configuration issue I am missing or is this the way it is supposed to work?  It appears that only the system drives handle the granular recovery capability.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Is the D drive on the Virtual Machine a local drive to that VM? Also make sure that it is not GPT or a RAW disk mapping as it is not supported for GRT.

JacobCrow
Level 4

It is a local drive.  How do I determine if it is GPT or RAW?

Thanks.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

You could see in disk properties if the disk show as GPT or MBR or use DISKPART> LIST DISK

As for RAW disks, you should be able to view that from the properties of the VM.

JacobCrow
Level 4

If I look at local disk properties I see Type: Local Disk;  File System:  NTFS.  None of the other Tabs give me info that the disk is RAW or otherwise.

We are using VMware 4.1.  Is there any place in the vCenter Console that would provide me with the information you mention.  If I look server under Storage Views, it looks like it only recognizes 1 disk with the space used as equivalent to the C: drive.  Yet when I actually back up the individual VM it sees both disks.

Diskpart shows nothing under GPT for either disk, C: or D:

Thanks