cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File extension problem of backing up Exchange

Tommy_Chiu
Level 2

I am trying to backup exchange 2012 with backupexec 2012 to disk, the file extension that I expect would be .bkf, but at the end couple giant .edb file shows up on destination folder, may I know if it is normal? Is that possible to pack it into same extension as other backup (.bkf) ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amrit_Alok
Level 4

When you backup Exchange with GRT feature enabled, it will create an IMG folder and will keep the Exchange Databases there. This is normal as by default the GRT feature is enabled within Backup Exec. This feature allows you to restore individual items (such as emails) from the Exchange Backups.

If you disable the GRT feature from within the job settings, the .bkf files will be created and you will not be able to restore individual items from the Exchange Backups.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Amrit_Alok
Level 4

When you backup Exchange with GRT feature enabled, it will create an IMG folder and will keep the Exchange Databases there. This is normal as by default the GRT feature is enabled within Backup Exec. This feature allows you to restore individual items (such as emails) from the Exchange Backups.

If you disable the GRT feature from within the job settings, the .bkf files will be created and you will not be able to restore individual items from the Exchange Backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

.bkf files are used when you are doing non-GRT backups.  You are probably doing a GRT backup for your Exchange, hence BE will produce a .img folder with .edb files.  This is normal.

Tommy_Chiu
Level 2

If I want to make backup of all .edb and delta files into .bkf, does it means second backup job on backupexec destination is needed?

That is: GRT backup -> .edb file + Delta + log -> .bkf by second job ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You should not backup the B2D folder or its contents like ordinary files.  If you need to make a copy of the backup set, you should duplicate it.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

If you really need to get a .bkf file, then turn off GRT, but you would not be able to restore individual items.