cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files missing from backup

rlittletht
Level 3

I am evaluating Backup Exec 2014 and I have encountered some serious issues with my backups – files are missing from the backup.  My initial backup of a full machine was missing over 20gb of data. In tracking down a reproducible case, I have narrowed it down to the following (again, this is just an example):

• Create a Backup to Disk
  • Edit the selection to include several files in the c:\inetpub\custerr directory (namely 500.htm, 500-100.asp, and 500-13.htm)
  • After the backup completes, try to restore files from that backup. Note that “500-100.asp” is not present in the backup

If I turn on full logging, I see that 500-100.asp is also not included. It doesn’t matter what I include in the backup select, 500-100.asp is never included (this is true whether the backup is local or of a remote machine).

Again, this is just an example of almost 20gb worth of data that wasn’t backed up.  

I am running this on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials with all patches applied, and all patches are applied to Backup Exec 2014. There is nothing in the “global exclude selections”

I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do next... this is a pretty vanilla installation so I don't know what could be special. On the other hand, its a pretty devastating bug to have not been found yet (a backup program that fails to backup).

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that the "missing" file is deemed to be part of the system state and is backed up when you back up the system state. Back up the system state and check for it

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that the "missing" file is deemed to be part of the system state and is backed up when you back up the system state. Back up the system state and check for it

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Turn on Advanced Open File Option and then run the backup again.

Thanks!

rlittletht
Level 3

I believe I already had AOFO on (under job defaults for Backup to Disk, Use Snapshot Technology is checked, and Automatic - Allow VSS to select the snapshot provider is selected).

As for system state - its hard to believe that could possible be it. Other files not backed up include "Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install\ccc2_install.exe" - clearly not part of any OS system state).  (but, I'm desperate, so I'm going to try the system state experiment anyway)

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Does the job log show any exeptions or errors ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

items related to IIS (so inside the inetpub folder) can easily be part of the system state.

Some .exe files are also part of the system state (whether or not they are is controlled by the software vendor)

As per pkh, run a system state backup - but then redirect a restore to a temp folder on a local drive letter so that you can see what was backed up as the restore selections may not list to the granular level to show the files you are interested in directly.

rlittletht
Level 3

Wow.Yep, system state is where these all ended up. Another question is why, but that's another question.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Because it is IIS, which is seen as system state.