cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filesystem Archiving Option + netapp cifs selection....

mdallagi
Level 3

Hi all,

we bought the Backup Exec 2010 Archiving Option for archiving our NetApp CIFS shares (we have also the NDMP option for regular backup).

Unfortunately when defining the "New archive job" I can't select my CIFS shares provided by netapp....why? Is it not supported?

8 REPLIES 8

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Are you able to select and backup these CIFS shares in a normal backup job?

also does the archiving for normal files in the file server works.

mdallagi
Level 3

What do you mean with "normal backup job"?

I can normaly backup my Netapp CIFS folders via NDMP....but I can't select a shared folder on Netapp (for example \\netapp-cifs\myshare) on the backup selection window.

I need to know if I can archive my CIFS shares exposed by Netapp.

Thanks.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Go to tools -option -network and seucrity -make sure "enable selection of shares" is enabled.

you should be able to select after that.

Take a backup and then archiving...not sure if you can arcihve data of a share though.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can't mix an NDMP Option environment with a CIFS backup environment as to do a CIFS backup you would have to disable NDMP on your NetApp

Mind you I am also not sure we support the Archiving Option over a share as it might need a remote agent process running on the actual  device that hold the data.

mdallagi
Level 3

The "enable selection of shares" is already enabled.

To better understand the problem I show you what I find during backup selection:

Instead, this is what I find during archive job creation:

As you can see I can't select Microsoft Windows Network and then I can't find then my Netapp shares....

mdallagi
Level 3

Hi Colin,

you are telling me that I need the remote agent running on the system that hold the share....but I'm just reading the Administrative Guide

and I can't find any reference about the need of an agent....only server side requirements.

mdallagi
Level 3

Hi all,

can I have an official answer to my question?

Summarizing, can I perform file system archiving using NetApp CIFS shares?

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In the backup selection screen what happens if you manually create a user defined selection for your share - once this is created does it then show up in the New Archive Job screen?