cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0x17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Arthur_Laramy
Level 3
SBS 2003
BE 9.1 with latest drivers

I've been gettin gthe following error for a week now, tired cleaning...the cleaning count won't update in BE when i use the cleaning tape....
quick Erase said it worked, in process of trying a long erase.

The tape drive has been operating flawlessly for 2 years...does this look like a case of the drive just quitting on me?

Job ended: Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 8:54:30 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Final error category: Other Errors

under the Errors section
Verify - C: Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Could be a lot of things

See http://support.veritas.com/docs/192216 for the CRC troubleshooting guide

Arthur_Laramy
Level 3
Fair enough, I've been through the list,
please review my findings

1. Contaminated read/write heads of the tape device:
Check with the hardware manufacturer for proper cleaning techniques.
Cleaning tape seems to run, eject yet BE doesn't recognize that the drive has been cleaned, the "last cleaned" statistics don't get updated in BE. Makes me think there is something wrong with either the drive or BE

2. Bad media:
Replace the media. Try a new tape that is certified by the hardware manufacturer.
I've tried 5 different tapes

3. Tape driver:
Load the appropriate Backup Exec tape driver. The latest Backup Exec tape drivers can be downloaded from the VERITAS Technical Support Web site at http://support.veritas.com/rd/bews-drivers.htm .
confirmed the latest drivers installed

Grouping all the SCSI together
4. SCSI controller wide negotiation enabled:
Use the manufacturer's SCSI setup program to disable wide negotiation on the SCSI controller card.
5. SCSI controller wide negotiation:
If the device is a wide (68 pin) SCSI device, then wide negotiation may and should be used. If the device is a narrow (50 pin) SCSI device, disable wide negotiation.
6. SCSI controller transfer rate is too fast:
Use the manufacturer's SCSI setup program to lower the SCSI transfer rate. Check with the controller and backup device manufacturer for the proper configuration for SCSI transfer rate.
7. SCSI controller synchronous negotiation enabled:
Use the manufacturer's SCSI setup program to disable synchronous negotiation on the SCSI controller card. Check with the controller and backup device manufacturer for the proper configuration for SCSI synchronous negotiation.
8. Incorrect termination or bad cables:
Verify that the SCSI cable is good and is configured to provide proper SCSI termination. Do not mix passive and active termination.
The backup job been up and running for 2 years..no configuration changes have been made to the server, most of these issues seem to target new setup issues, not ones that crop up after years of use without a config change. It seems beyond unlikely any of these are possible causes of the failure, but maybe I'm missing something any ideas on this front?

9. Confirm that the tape drive is functioning properly:
Check with the tape drive manufacturer for diagnostic software to test the condition of the tape drive hardware.
Haven't found any for my HP drive,

10. General SCSI problems:
Isolate the tape drive on its own controller card.
always has been isolated, still is

Thanks in Advance

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1) Standalone drives have never reset the stats, you've always had to do it manually.

9) What kind of drive is it?

This could also be a Cable or Terminator going bad, try swapping one at a time

Arthur_Laramy
Level 3
HP DLT VS80

I'll try the terminator and cable over the weekend

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Couldn't find the HP diagnostics, but http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/DLTVS80/Index.aspx# has a link to the Quantum xTalk program

Arthur_Laramy
Level 3
Thanks Ken,

I'm not sure what the drop test failure indicates, it sounds like the drive is failing to write correctly... here are my results and the test description from within xTalk.

Am i right in assuming from these results that my Drive needs replacing?

Thanks again
Arthur

Results

Test Summary
Drive Detection Test -------- : Passed
SCSI Interconnect Test ------ : Passed
Pre Test Log Page 7 --------- : Passed
Tape Load Test -------------- : Passed
Quick Write/Read Test ------- : Passed
Small Buffer Wr/Rd Test ----- : Passed
System Level Test ----------- : Passed
Bug Check 8008 Test --------- : Passed
Time Test ------------------- : Passed
Multi-Pattern Test ---------- : Passed
Drop Out Screen Test -------- : Failed
Collect Log Page 7 ---------- : Passed
Problem Detected

Drop Out Screen Test
Setting test parameters for VS80
GBs to Process: 1
Load tape
Rewinding
Resetting Internal Counters
Setting the compression off
Setting to fixed block mode
Write Loop @ 1
Total Bytes Processed: 0.417 Gb
Ratio: 1078.661 Rewrite/Gb
*** Ratio Limit Exceeded ***
Rewrites: 450GB's: 0.417Ratio: 1078.661Limit: 1000.000
Problem Detected

Drop Out Screen Test Description

This test writes one to five GB of data based upon the tape drive type detected. After writing 3.276 MB, the script queries the drive's Log Page 2 to determine the total number of bytes processed and the total number of rewrites, and calculates a total number of rewrites per GB of data written. If the ratio does not exceed the limit, the test continues.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Looks like it.

Arthur_Laramy
Level 3
Thanks for the help Ken