cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xe000821e - Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library

SC2317
Level 3

Hi,

I am new to symantec backup exec and don't have good knowledge on this product. We are using Symantec Backup Exec 15. Recently we got LTO7 M8 tapes and inserted in Powervault TL2000 tape library that is currently being used by backup software to backup data on LTO6 tapes.

However, after inserting these LTO7 tapes and running inventory on Backup Exec it shows unrecognised. I have also configured barcode rule for LTO7 tapes with suffix "M8" as label ends with M8. I lalso ogged in to TL2000 console and it  shows incompatible.

Can someone please help in resolving this issue?

8 REPLIES 8

PJ_Backup
Employee

If you have an LTO6 tape drive it won't be able to read (or write) LTO7 tapes. Generally LTO can read two generations back and write one generation back, but no generations forward.

This table hopefully makes it clearer:

https://www.tandbergdata.com/us/index.cfm/support/compatibility/tape-drive-media-compability-matrix/

Thanks for the update. Sorry, may be I did not understand this correctly because I don't have much experience on tapes. However, Can you please suggest how do I see whether my library has LTO6 tape drives ? I think Powervault TL2000 supports LTO7 tapes, so why does it not support writing/reading on it?

PJ_Backup
Employee

I would suggest either checking in Device Manager in Windows:

(right click on Windows button - Computer Management - Device Manager - Tape Drives) might have specific details about the LTO generation, or alternatively check the Backup Exec adamm.log:

(C:\Program files\Symantec or Veritas\Backup Exec\Logs\adamm.log) as this will have information about how Backup Exec sees the drive (in your case this will be Symantec but is Veritas for newer releases). For ijnstance checking a random adamm.log shows : "IBM ULT3580-HH8 K4K1" and googling ULT3580-HH8 brings up information about LTO-8. Just as an example.

A last suggestion is to check the serial number of the drive and look this up on the vendor's website (I can't confirm whether this works as haven't a drive to check but it seems reasonably likely it would). Or maybe (a final thought) check the PO created when your company originally purchased the drive/library in case this has some info about it.

Good luck..!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The TL2000 web interface should indicate what generation of tape drive you have.  The TL2000 library supports everything from LTO4 up to LTO8.

As PJ mentioned, the adamm.log or the BE UI should show the inquiry string for your tape drive.  It is probably similar to IBM^^^^^ULT3580-HH4 and the digit after the "HH" would be the generation of the tape drive.

If the TL2000 web interface says that the new LTO7 cartridges are incompatible to your TL2000 then there is likely nothing that Backup Exec can do with those catridges either.  It is possible that the TL2000 needs new firmware, so make sure you are at the current firmware in the TL2000 and in your tape drive(s).

If you only have a single tape drive (or multiple tape drives of the same generation), the the bar code rules feature in Backup Exec is likely not needed and will just cause you extra grief.  I suggest turning off bar code rules in Backup Exec unless you are experienced and you believe that you need to use them.

Hi Larry,

Many thanks for your reply. I have checked it and our drive is showing IBM ULT3580-HH6 which means it is may be generation 6. Does it mean the new LTO 7 is not supported ? As its TL2000, I assume it is but not sure as I could not find anything related to compatability.

Also, the slot in which LTO 7 is imported is showing incompatiblte. 2 Months ago, we had upgraded the firmware to the latest. 

Yes, we have LTO6, LTO4 tapes and idea is to remove all and keep only LTO7, however I need to fix this first before I can remove LTO6 & 4.

Hi PJ,

My drive is IBM ULT3580-HH6, so does it mean its not supported ?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

So, you have an LTO6 tape drive in your TL2000, which is supported by Dell and Backup Exec.  To determine what hardware is supported by Backup Exec, please go to www.backupexec.com/compatibility

An LTO6 tape drive can read and write to LTO6 and LTO5 cartridges.  It can read LTO4 cartridges.  It cannot do anything with LTO7 cartridges.

You can find more info about LTO and tape at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

You can investigate with Dell your options for replacing your LTO6 tape drive with an LTO7 or LTO8 tape drive if you wish to go that route.

Hi Larry,

Thanks, we'll check with Dell on this.