cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xe0009578 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.

Lesta_G
Level 6

BE 2010 R3 with all patches applied

I am migrating from 1 media server to another

I have set the selection sets and jobs up manually on the new media server.

i am just testing the tape drive on the new server and chose a VM that backs up fine on the other media server but gets the following error

Final error: 0xe0009578 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.

Media server Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP1

VM being backed up windows server 2003 SP2 and has RAWS agent on it that new media server says is up to date

No errors in VCenter
no SAN 

already coverred off suggestions at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&startover=y&question_box=V-79-57344-3826...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lesta_G
Level 6

Solved - It was a Network Driver on the server.

whilst watching the network usage in task manger, there appeared to be significant pauses in network traffic.

I updated the drivers from the Manufacturer's website and I also checked via device manager that the drivers were up to date....and Microsoft said they were....

Whilst in device manager , I noticed the drivers were of January 2009 vintage....they are the latest?...yeah right

So a quick search on the broadcom site for a bcm5708c and lo and behold there have been many driver updates and January 2011 was the latest.

A quick download and install and backups now run fine :)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There are quite a few entries in the Known Issues section relating to your error.  You might want to check which of them are applicable to your problem.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee

Do you have Jumbo Frames Enabled in your Enviroment?

Lesta_G
Level 6

The new media server is a no, it is set to 1500 (the default for a broadcom nic, as I understand it)

The old server does not have this functionality

The switches are enabled for jumbo frames

I have logged a support call for this.

As the old media server works fine backing up the same VMs through the same Vcenter.  (apart from verifying causing the server to reboot...hence the move to a new server) :)

I suspect it is a 2008 R2 issue or a bad config on my part.

I dont trust the output from the Symantec Support tool, as it says backup exec is not installed, yet it is on the D: drive rather than c:

Running a diagnostic log, shows "blockbad errors", which appear to be recoverable. I have uploaded the diagnostic log to the support call.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee

With regards to Jumbo Frames, I can tell you that they are something that is not supported by VMWare.  As such, sometimes it may work when we make our calls though the VMWare API's and other times it may fail, for consistant success you may want to not use them.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is GRT enabled and if yes have you configured the Remote Agent trust between the Remote Agent installed inside the Virtual machine and the new Media Server? (I am guesisng the trust was configured to the old media server if this is your problem.)

Lesta_G
Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion Colin,

GRT is unticked and GRT is disabled for the agents (if that makes sense) :)

Those with RAWS, I have pushed out the agent via BE (on the new media server), even though it was up to date

This is just a "pure" AVVI backup

I have tried multiple VMs, some with RAWS most without, XP/2003/2008. different VMs on different VM Hosts - same result

Lesta_G
Level 6

Handy Tidbit to know, thanks!

Lesta_G
Level 6

Solved - It was a Network Driver on the server.

whilst watching the network usage in task manger, there appeared to be significant pauses in network traffic.

I updated the drivers from the Manufacturer's website and I also checked via device manager that the drivers were up to date....and Microsoft said they were....

Whilst in device manager , I noticed the drivers were of January 2009 vintage....they are the latest?...yeah right

So a quick search on the broadcom site for a bcm5708c and lo and behold there have been many driver updates and January 2011 was the latest.

A quick download and install and backups now run fine :)