cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error code: 0xe00084c8. V-79-57344-33992. I/O device error.

Django001
Level 2

Dear Support,

I have been experiencing a problem with BackupExec 11d.  Normal File Server backups perform OK. When I try to backup the Domain Controller using the Remote Agent I get an error with Verify:

Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media. Error reported: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed. 

I have switched off the Verify option and the backup performs OK.  However, I am aware that I may have problems when trying to restore data from this backup.

I also get the following Application Error log messages:

Event id: 33152

Adamm Mover Error: Read Retry!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
    {07E2A4BD-0327-4BF9-A72D-DDF37062EBF6}
Media = "6 OF SET 3"
    {23C4F9AE-7199-41EF-980A-1A8C7806DF35}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
Media = "6 OF SET 3"

Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
Media = "6 OF SET 3"

Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
Media = "6 OF SET 3"

Event id: 57665

Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Please could you make a list of suggestions on how I can work this problem?

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Django001
Level 2

OK, after HP gave me a new Autoloader this fixed the problem.  The root cause was a tape stuck in the drive and the Autoloader was unable to eject the tape.  Manual intervention was required.  Nothing like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Mr Spock - I also use this product with a TL4000 at  another site.  I had the same error there.  Dell came out and upgraded the firmware and changed the SCSI terminator.  However, also the root cause was due to a tape stuck in the drive.  I was not able to move tapes between slots and perform a Tape Library Inventory (as opposed to a Symantec Software inventory).  See if you can perform a Tape Library Inventory and a slot move.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mr_spock
Level 2
I am receiving the same error with Backup Exec v12 on a Win2003 server using the Dell TL4000 robotic tape unit. 

Django001
Level 2

OK, after HP gave me a new Autoloader this fixed the problem.  The root cause was a tape stuck in the drive and the Autoloader was unable to eject the tape.  Manual intervention was required.  Nothing like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Mr Spock - I also use this product with a TL4000 at  another site.  I had the same error there.  Dell came out and upgraded the firmware and changed the SCSI terminator.  However, also the root cause was due to a tape stuck in the drive.  I was not able to move tapes between slots and perform a Tape Library Inventory (as opposed to a Symantec Software inventory).  See if you can perform a Tape Library Inventory and a slot move.

Fargo
Not applicable

Hello,

I've got the same problem, but I do not believe that the stated solution will help me.  I receive all of the same errors, but only when verifying my Redhat Linux 4 server; many different tapes, different slots in the auto-loader, different backup selections, backup methods (full/incremental), etc. - the only commonality that I see is that the error always occurs while verifying the same server's backup.  I haven't had any trouble with the tape drive's eject funcions, and the tape drive and library check out just fine when I test them outside of BE.

I've updated the firmware on the tape library and tape drive (re-updated... I was on the most current), applied all updates to BE 11d for Windows Servers (on a win2k3 server), reinstalling the agent on the Linux server, and reinstalled the Symantec drivers.  My tape library is an Exabyte 110L with an IBM LTO tape drive.

I would really appreciate anyone's help in this.  Thanks!