cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First HP Autoloader with 12.5 - GFS tape rotation advice required.

clwoody
Level 2
Hi, i have just moved from using backup exec 11d to 12.5 sp2. At the same time i have had to replace the tape drive with an HP 1/8 Autoloader for capacity reasons.

I am going to be backing up about 9 servers, total backup size is about 2TB.

I wish to inplement a GFS tape rotation scheme but cant work out the best way to go about this. For example how can i have the Mon-thur incremental tapes retained in the tape library and specify cerating tapes for full backups on fridays/monthly?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What you can do is partition the slots in library so that the Monday to Thursday can only use tapes from say 4 of your slots and then the weekly can use tapes from 2 of the slots with the montly using tapes in the remaining 2 slots

Partitioning of the slots is  done on the devices screen in Backup Exec and then you set the target device in each backup job to the specific partition

C.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
3 media sets to control when the media is used and overwrite - one for daily incrementals, one for weekly and one for monthly

3 jobs:
1) - Mon-Thurs incrementals
2) - Friday weekly backup (use schedule to specify not to do a weekly on the week you want to do monthlies - 
usually recommend first week in month or last week in month)
3) Monthly backup - (use scheule to select only the week you deselected in the weekly job)

Obviously tell each job to use the correct media set and also decide which jobs might be append jobs and which should start with an overwrite of the media.

clwoody
Level 2
Hi Colin, thanks for that information.

Do you know if there is a way to assign particular bar codes to differnt media sets, or should i let media in scratch pool be asigned automatically?

thanks,

Colin.

Colin_Weaver

What you can do is partition the slots in library so that the Monday to Thursday can only use tapes from say 4 of your slots and then the weekly can use tapes from 2 of the slots with the montly using tapes in the remaining 2 slots

Partitioning of the slots is  done on the devices screen in Backup Exec and then you set the target device in each backup job to the specific partition

C.

clwoody
Level 2
Hi Colin, thanks fior that infiormation. Thats exactly what i did and all seems ok.

Thanks again for your help.

Colin.