cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First tape in set ignored

TR-BE2014
Level 5

I set up a duplicate to tape job with 5 tapes in a library. The first tape was ignored, so everything was written to tapes 2-5. Fortunately, I really only needed 4 tapes, but when I use 4 tapes next time, I want to make sure they are all used properly.

One caveat - after I labeled and inventoried all of the tapes, I performed a small overwrite to the first tape as a test, then set all of the real tape jobs to append. The first tape did show up as appendable, so I don't think any overwrite protection was the culprit.

Any ideas? Next time around, I'm going to try setting the first tape job up to overwrite and all the rest to append, but I'm not sure why that would make a difference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Most probably, the first tape is write-protected because it is written to and it is not appendable because the AP has expired.  Without an appendable, the second job will overwrite the second tape which is overwritable.

It is always a good idea to set the first job to ovewrite.  This will maximise the tape space available.

To understand OPP and AP better, read this document

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Most probably, the first tape is write-protected because it is written to and it is not appendable because the AP has expired.  Without an appendable, the second job will overwrite the second tape which is overwritable.

It is always a good idea to set the first job to ovewrite.  This will maximise the tape space available.

To understand OPP and AP better, read this document

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If your test job used a different media set than your scheduled jobs then you cannot append as appends can ONLY take place within the same media set and a tape can ONLY belong to one media set at a time (and the action of changing a media set always goes with an overwrite)

TR-BE2014
Level 5

Thanks, PKH. I'll set the first job to overwrite.

Colin, I was using the same media set for all of the tapes, but pkh is right. My small overwrite was triggering the overwrite protection, so I'll just set the first job in the series to overwrite.

Thanks.