cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat File SQL Server Backup (No Agent used, No Databases involved)

Heinrich_Gehen
Not applicable

Good day!

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my inquiry.

Backup Server: BEWS 11D on W2K3 (both products fully patched).

SQL Server: MS SQL Server 2000 on W2K3 (both products fully patched).

No SQL agent installed, just the "plain" remote agent.

Problem:

I'm backing up the SQL server's OS and supporting files (no databases involved).  However, my DBA informs me that she's getting login errors with the SQL service during backup times.  She's locked the SQL server such that only her SQL Admin account has full reign on the box, and that the system logon account permissions have been "downgraded".

To troubleshoot the issue, I've broken down the job to backup only the C drive (OS), but she's still getting the login error, even though there is nothing SQL related on that drive.

Building the backup job, and testing the credentials does not produce the said error.  It's only when the job runs.

Since we didn't purchase the SQL agent, I do not have the SQL options when I create the job.

Any help or leads in the proper direction would be most appreciated.

All the best,

Heinrich

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Only way to do flat file backups of SQL databases is to shut down SQL, which I'm sure your DBA won't like either

In addition to shutting down SQL, you need to configure AFE (Active File Exclusion) see

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm

The best way to Backup SQL is obviously with an Agent.  If the DBA won't accept that, have the DBA do a SQL Dump-to-Disk, using SQL,  and then backup the BKF files