cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For different backup selection use separate job and single job

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

In BE15, diff and full job are group into one job and using same selection list. Seems I cannot select different folder or add some exclusion in same job. E.G. I cannot exclude *.pst file in diff job but include *.pst in full job.

To use different selection, I have to create two Backup to disk job.

But considering the principle of "Using archive bit"in the backup method for files, is same selection list for full and diff will be better for this backup method ?

Any advantage and disadvantage to group diff and full in same job with same selection and split them into two backup jobs.

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can apply job-level exclusions. Edit the backup job and choose Exclusions on the left side. On the right-side, you will have the option to insert exclusions which will apply only to thr Differential.

If you plan to setup two backup jobs (Full + Diff A) and (Full + Diff B), the selections list must be completely different.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I cannot exclude *.pst file in diff job but include *.pst in full job

Why do you want to do this?  If this is possible then when you restore the differential job. the *.pst files will not be the latest.

Regardless of the backup method, you should always use the same selection list for your full and differential or full and incremental jobs.  This is to ensure that the same set of files is backed up correctly.  This is the reason why from BE 2012 you cannot have separately full and incremental/differential jobs using different selection lists.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Does it mean, I cannot create a job of Full and a job of Diff with same selection?

Seems when try to create a new job, Full template is by default will be created and cannot be delete. If I change the template to Diff, I found I cannot change the backup method in "Files and Folders" tab.

So I cannot create a individual diff job depend on another separated full job, right?

Then I have to create two backup jobs (Full + Diff A) and (Full + Diff B). But what's that mean by "the selections list must be completely different." ? BE15 does not accept two jobs with same selection?

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

Have you looked at the job-level "Exclusions" option which i mentioned earlier ?

And yes, you cannot create a separate Incr or Diff backup job as it must have a Full associated with it. By different selection lists, i meant the source backup data must be different. if they are same, then they will get affected when the other job runs.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For BE 2012 and above you cannot create a diff/incr job that referenced the selection list of another full backup. If you create two backup jobs (Full + Diff A) and (Full + Diff B) and use the same selection list, then they would be just duplicates of each other.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Hi VJware,

Yes, I have checked the options you mentioned. Can you take a brief look at my attachment. Do you mean if I add this item, then *.pst will only be backup by full?

I only find below description in admin guide.

Exclude files from backup jobs

When you exclude files from individual backup jobs, the exclusions do not affect

any of the other backup jobs in the related backup definition. The job-level

exclusions also do not affect any of your other backup definitions. The exclusion

applies only to the backup job to which you apply it. You cannot apply a job-level

exclusion to Full backups.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

But in BE2010, when there is failed backup job, we normally create a ADHOC-job depend on what has not been backup by the last failed job, it will spend less time to complete backup and will not backup duplicated data. Then in BE15, we will create a full job and remove diff/incre job with the selection which has not been backup? Think it is the same.

VJware
Level 6

Yup, as per this exclusion, the .pst should get backed up only during the Full backup and not during the Incremental / Differential.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

But this backup-level exclusions will apply to all backup Windows agents like serverA and serverB in the same jobs,right? Cannot add only for serverA.

VJware
Level 6

That's right. It will apply to all servers (if any) for that job only.