Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force BE 2014 to use specific scratch tape in an auto loader

dori_bashan
Level 6

Hello

We have an MSL 4048 auto loader with 2x LTO 5 drives

I want to set up a backup job but to force that job to use specific scratch tapes, which are LTO 4 tapes.

As the person that will get these tapes will restore them with an LTO 4 tape

assuming that in the scratch media i got both LTO 4 and LTO 5 tapes,

How can i force BE to load a LTO 4 tape from the scratch media pool?

THANKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For using a specific tape, the only way to guarantee this is to create a single slot partition (inside Backup Exec), insert the required scratch tape into that slot/partition and send the job to the same partition. This will mean the job must fit completely on that tape as it will not be able to choose a second tape from outside of the partition

For using any one from a set of LTO-4 tapes, you could put all your LTO-4 tapes into a multi-slot partition (again configured inside of Backup Exec) and let normal media set tape handling take place for which one is used from the partition. The LTO-4 backup jobs will need to target that partition (with your LTO-5 tapes in a different partition with a different set of jobs using it as a target)

With regards wanting jobs to only use LTO4 tapes you might be able to use barcode rukes - although this is usually only configured if you have more than one tape drive (of different standards/technologies) in your libary to make sure that the tapes are only used in the correct technology drives. I suspect the partiton idea might be simpler

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver

For using a specific tape, the only way to guarantee this is to create a single slot partition (inside Backup Exec), insert the required scratch tape into that slot/partition and send the job to the same partition. This will mean the job must fit completely on that tape as it will not be able to choose a second tape from outside of the partition

For using any one from a set of LTO-4 tapes, you could put all your LTO-4 tapes into a multi-slot partition (again configured inside of Backup Exec) and let normal media set tape handling take place for which one is used from the partition. The LTO-4 backup jobs will need to target that partition (with your LTO-5 tapes in a different partition with a different set of jobs using it as a target)

With regards wanting jobs to only use LTO4 tapes you might be able to use barcode rukes - although this is usually only configured if you have more than one tape drive (of different standards/technologies) in your libary to make sure that the tapes are only used in the correct technology drives. I suspect the partiton idea might be simpler

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thanks

Bummer.

Can i add the blank tapes to the media set before running the job and force BE to use the tapes that are already in the media set instaed of using tapes from the scratch media?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. You can, but note that when you add a tape to the media the OPP takes immediate effect and your tape may be write-protected. The OPP starts from the Allocated Date of the tape. Also, you need to go to the BE Settings and check that option to use recyclable media before Scratch

dori_bashan
Level 6

So if the LTO 4 tapes are configures as Never Overwrite and Allow Append, and i add the tapes to the media set beofre the backup, and change the Use recyclable media before scratch

it should be ok?

or am i missing something?

Colin_Weaver

If the tapes are placed in a "never overwrite" media set and have not been used at least once then the append may not work as the first operation may need to be an overwrite. You should leave new tapes in Scratch and let Backup Exec move them to the media set of the job as it uses them.

Note tapes can be moved between media sets if Backup Exec needs an overwritable tape and the only one  available is in a different set. Tapes cannot move between library partitions unless a human being moves them.

dori_bashan
Level 6

seems very complicated.

it will be easier to arrangea stald alone LTO 4 tape that will be connected to the same server, and just configure the job to use that specific tape.

main bummer is that i will need to manualy replace tapes instaed of the auto loader will make the switch

Colin_Weaver

If you are considering that then a single slot partition would have the same effect and not need extra hardware

dori_bashan
Level 6

thats make sense... thanks