cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format media in Backup Exec 2010 R2

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi,

I had installed Symantec Backup Exec in our environment. Needless to say, I am new to Backup Exec. After inserting the media, and running the inventory, the media was detected by Backup Exec. But, I could notice that only the option 'Erase, quick erase' is available to me, and that the 'Format' option seems to be grayed out. I tried doing the same thing by associating the media with different media set. Like 'Scratch Set' etc. I tried creating a new media set, allowing to append, and protection is set to 0 days.

After running a backup successfully, and if the same tape is inserted again, the option to quick erase will also disappear. Then, the option to quick erase will also become unavailable. Can some one guide me how I should proceed? The idea is that, I need to use a separate tape for each week, in which a full backup will be taken on the first day of the week, and incremental on the following days. The Same tape will be used at the beginning of the next month. Hence, the tape should be reusable. The tape drive which I use is 'Quantum Ultrium LTO'.

Also, I had installed the Agent for Exchange on one of the machine. The product has been updated using the Live update, to Symantec Backup Exec 2010 SP1. The agents in the client machines needs to be updated manually. The agents in all the other client machines were automatically updated from the server itself, though the process was initiated manually. But, the agent in the exchange server could not be udpated from the media server. Any help or guidance regarding these is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No need to format media if it is new...the Erase function will work just fine. The option to quick erase will always be available to you if you would like to manually erase a tape. BE won't overwrite that tape based on the media set prioperties that it is in, but the software doesn't stop you from doing so.

Once the append/overwrite protection period is up on your tape (based on the media set like I mentioned above), it becomes overwritable meaning BE will use it again.

The TN below explains what the Append/OPP settings are:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

Just 1 thing...when you upgrade your media server with LiveUpdate, you need to MANUALLY update your remote agents. It doesn't automatically do so for you. You can do a push-install from: Tools --> Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers. If the push-install fails, check the TN below and use the work-around mentioned to do so manually yourself. Ignore the error...the work-around is what you are looking for:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73454

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

No need to format media if it is new...the Erase function will work just fine. The option to quick erase will always be available to you if you would like to manually erase a tape. BE won't overwrite that tape based on the media set prioperties that it is in, but the software doesn't stop you from doing so.

Once the append/overwrite protection period is up on your tape (based on the media set like I mentioned above), it becomes overwritable meaning BE will use it again.

The TN below explains what the Append/OPP settings are:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

Just 1 thing...when you upgrade your media server with LiveUpdate, you need to MANUALLY update your remote agents. It doesn't automatically do so for you. You can do a push-install from: Tools --> Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers. If the push-install fails, check the TN below and use the work-around mentioned to do so manually yourself. Ignore the error...the work-around is what you are looking for:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73454

Thanks!

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi Craig, thanks a lot for the answer. One more help. Do I need to install the agent in a machine to take the backup of a folder which is shared. In simple terms, I have a machine in the active directory domain. I just need to take the backup of one folder in that machine. That folder is shared.

I tried to add the folder in 'User Defined Selections'. But, When the Resource Credentials check is performed, it is failing. Is there any way in which I can take the backup of this folder? Do I need to install agent in that machine too? What do you think? I tried locating the folder in Windows Network & Domains. But, the credential check is failing in all the options.

Thanks in Advance.

Tom

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi,

I had taken a backup. The media set and the rules are defined as said above. But, the problem now is that, I cannot erase or format the media. The media is full now. Please see the attached screenshots which can tell you the media properties. Can any one help me on this?

Thanks,

Tom Jacob

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you look at your screenshot, you will see the line which says "Overwrite protection until" which says Overwritable.  This means that this medium is overwriteable, i.e. BE can just write on it.  There is no need to format or erase it.

CraigV

...taking into account what pkh said below, have you tried to erase/formart through BE? If it doesn't allow it, have you tried to do so through your drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility after stopping the BE services?