cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fragen zur Software BackupExec, Lizenzierung und Funktionen

Markus_F
Level 2

Hallo zusammen,

leider habe ich keine Supportadresse gefunden an die ich mich wenden könnte - deswegen versuche ich mein Glück bei Euch (aber villeicht kann mir ja jemand eine Mailadresse besorgen - im Kundenbereich komme ich ohne Seriennummer nämlich nichts ser weit). Nun zur eigentlichen Fragestellung:

Wir hatten vor Jahren bereits eine Lösung von BackupExec im Einsatz - diese wurde aber ersetzt.
In der Kalkulation für eine neue Serverstruktur sind wir auch wieder auf der Suche nach einer entsprechenden Sicherungssoftware.

Um nicht mehr zu lizenzieren was wir brauchen hätte ich folgende Fragen

1. Welche Lizenz wird für uns benötigt und
2. werden unsere Vorstellungen von BackupExec unterstützt.

Zu Frage 1:

Zusammenfassung unseres Systems

- Ein Active Directory Server (WinServer 2012 R2 Standard)
- Ein HyperV Server mit mehreren VM Servern (WinServer 2012 R2 Datacenter)
- Ein BackupServer (WinServer 2012 R2 Standard)

Auf dem Backupserver würde BackupExec installiert. Wir gehen davon aus, dass wir zur Sicherung des Active Directory Servers und den virtuellen Maschinen auf dem HyperV Servers jeweils einen Agent benötigen - richtig?

Welche Version muss hierzu lizenziert werden - reicht hier eine SmallBusiness Edition?
Und wie ist die Lizenzierung der Agenten und welche Kosten?
Gibt es eine Möglichkeit Datendeduplizierung zu aktiveren?

Zu Frage 2:

Unsere Vorstellungen:

Unterstützt BackupExec folgende Aufgaben:
1. täglich eine Sicherung auf die lokalen Festplatten
2. Montag bis Freitag eine inkrementelle Kopie der Sicherung auf jeweils eine externe USB 3.0 Festplatten (pro Tag eine Festplatte)
3. Samstags eine Komplettsicherung auf eine weitere externe USB 3.0 Festplatte (Satz aus vier Festplatten)

> Die USB 3.0 Festplatten (Mo-Fr) werden spätenstens nach einem halben Jahr getauscht <
> Eine USB 3.0 Festplatten (Sa) wird pro Monat ins Archiv gelegt <

D.h. es muss im Programm möglich sein die Festplatten dementsprechend einzurichten und zu verwalten - um evtl. auch in der Sicherungssoftware zu recherchieren auf welcher Festplatte sich eine "verlorene" Datei befindet.

Sind unsere Vorstellungen dementsprechend möglich? Und ist es weiterhin möglich nach erfolgreicher Sicherung auf die externe USB 3.0 Festplatten diese vom System zu trennen, da den Austausch ein Mitarbeiter übernimmt der keine Zugriffsberechtigung auf den Backupserver hat.

Vielen Dank schonmal im voraus.

Gruß Markus

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Best bet is to actually contact the licensing department so that they can firm things up on the licensing side for you.

However, from my perspective...

1. You'd need the BE media server license, 1 x Agent for Databases and Applications (Domain Controller), and possibly V-Ray licensing. Check the licensing guide on the link below for more information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178479

2. Read the TN below on how to rotate external HDD:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98837

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, you should contact the Symantec Licencing department to sort out your licencing requirements. Call Customer Care at

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

That said, you might want to read this licencing guide first.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479

A Small Business licence may suit your environment, but read the licencing guide and take note of the limitations of this licence.

If you decide to go for individual licences, then you would need a core BE licence, a hypervisor agent licence and 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence per application/database per server.  To backup AD, read my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

What you are trying to do with the USB drives are do-able.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks-be-2012

However, you should plan to keep your entire backup chain (full + incrementals) on one disk for easier restores.

Markus_F
Level 2

Can it be that the license management is slightly confusing when there is no experience in the software :) ?

In order to clarify once again, our environment:

Server1: Active Directory und File Server (WinServer 2012 R2 Standard)

Server2: HyperV Server with more than 10 VM Servers (WinServer 2012 R2 Datacenter) - Core Installation - 2x CPU with 8 Core

Server3: BackupServer (WinServer 2012 R2 Standard)

On Server3 I will need to Install Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Server (21329428) to control and configure the backup jobs

On Server2 I will need to Install Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Agent for VMware and Hyper-V (21329466)

On Server1 I will need to Install Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Agent for Applications and Databases (21329458)

When i wanted to use the data deduplication option i will need to install the Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Deduplication Option (21329495) on Server3

Can I Install the Agent for VMware and Hyper-V on an Windows CoreServer (Server2)?

Will I need another licence to save the fileserver data from server1?

Because of the CPU i will have to buy the V-Ray Edition twice - this would be more expensive than the HyperV Agent

Am i right?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Server 1 -

You can buy either an Agent for Applications and Databases licence or an Agent for Applications and Databases licence, depending on your needs.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

The Agent for Applications and Databases licence comes with an Agent for Applications and Databases licence, so you can backup files on this machine without any further licence.

Server 2 -

You need buy an Agent for VMware and Hyper-V licence to backup the VM's as VM's.  You can load the remote agent on a Core OS.  It is supported.

With the Agent for VMware and Hyper-V licence, you are entitled to load remote agent on any number of VM's on the host.  This will allow you to do GRT restores of files/folders from your VM backup.

However, if your VM's has applications like Exchange and SQL Server, then you need to buy 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each application/database on each server.  Otherwise, you would not be able to restore individual items, like mail, from your VM backups.  Depending on the number of Agent for Applications and Databases licences that you need to buy, it might be cheaper to buy the V-Ray Edition which gives you an unlimited number of Agent for Applications and Databases licences.

Server 3 -

You would need a BE Server licence and if you want to use dedup, then a dedup option licence.

It is better to talk to either the Symantec Licencing department or a reseller on licencing, especially when you are not familiar.  The forum is not the place to learn about the intricacies of licencing.

Markus_F
Level 2

Thanks pkh for your reply,

> It is better to talk to either the Symantec Licencing department or a reseller on licencing,
>
especially when you are not familiar.  The forum is not the place to learn about the intricacies of licencing.

I just try to call the symantec department - but when I calling, the system wants a customer ID or support ID - wich I do not own

Than i try the recal funtion on the website. But since Wednesday I get only the Feedback - "Sorry! Your request could not be processed. Please try after some time." So I've turned again to the forum.

But I try again this week :)

Thanks

Markus

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I just try to call the symantec department - but when I calling, the system wants a customer ID or support ID - wich I do not own

This happens when you call the support helpline and not licensing.

Would you pls try calling the numbers listed per http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

Markus_F
Level 2

I have already called this number in Germany - but when I calling this number the first message is "Welcome to the Symantec technical support"!!! Not sales or licencing....

The Option 1 is "For Business produkts" (for exampleBackup Exec) 

Option 2 - "For Licencing"

Option 3-5 "For Home products"

Under 1 and 2 there is the question for that ID number.

I try again the recall function on the website "Sorry! Your request could not be processed. Please try after some time."

Now I have called our reseller and asked to forwarded my request to their direct contact to symantec. Maybe this will work better...