cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free upgrade from 10D to 11D?

albert_choua
Level 4
I had been told that I could get a free copy of BackupExec 11D for windows server since I purchased 10D last year.
Senantec Veritas sent me a 11D CD but did not include the licenses of Backup Exec for Exchange Server, Backup Exec for SQL, Libary Extension, and Remote agents all the components I currently have.

Can I upgrade to 11D to run with my 10D agents? Or how can I get all the licenses I need?

Is it true I can get FREE copy of 11D or what I got just a trial version? I already received the license key online this morning.

Thanks for help.
15 REPLIES 15

oracle_8202
Level 4
As far as I know you have to have a valid maintenance agreement in order to update your license.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Albert,
If when you bought 10d, you purchased maintenance with it, then yes, upgrading to 11d is free (assuming your maintenance is still active)
All agents and options need to be upgraded to 11d at the same time.
Let me know if you still have questions about 11d.
Thanks,
Daniel

albert_choua
Level 4
I don't know what you mean purchased maintenance? But I really purchased their Technical Services Support Certificate for all the BackupExec components and it's still available until August.
Could you tell from where I can get all the upgrade licenses key? I got tired to call and wait on the phone for hour.
Thanks.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/licensing/activation/index.jsp

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
That's correct Phillip. From there, you can enter your serial numbers and you should receive license keys from this process.

albert_choua
Level 4
I only got Backup Exec for Windows Server license key but how about me Exchange, SQL, Remote agents, and Library extension licenses? I did not get any of these. This is my point.

albert_choua
Level 4
Veritas only sent me one serial number to active and get Backup Exec for Windows Server license key. How to get the license keys for other components?

oracle_8202
Level 4
Do you only have the one license for BE 10 or do you have all the licenses for BE 10 and only one license for BE 11? I had to register each component with a different license number in order to upgrade all of them to BE 11.

albert_choua
Level 4
I am currently using 10d.
2 licenses of Backup Exec for Windows. 2 licenses of Exchange. 1 licenses of SQL Server. 6 licenses of Remote Agents. 2 licenses of libary extension.
Each of them needs a license key to upgrade to 11d.
Veritas only gave me one license of Backup Exec for Windows server 11d. I don't know why they did so? That may mess up my current system without other licenses put in.

oracle_8202
Level 4
I had to go to the Symantec portal and enter in each BE 10 license to upgrade them to 11d. After I entered everyone of my BE 10 licenses into the portal I just clicked the "upgrade licenses" link one by one until they were all upgraded. They then sent me my new licenses by e-mail.

albert_choua
Level 4
Finally I got some clues from you. Could you provide more detail what did you do to get all the license keys online? What website did you goto?

I went to License Portal -> Versions Upgrades
and I was told to enter Notification ID and Customer Number, I don't know what it's.

I did not see the "Upgrade Licenses" box.
Thanks for help.

I waste so much time to search for the solution. Why Veritas doesn't tell us how to do the complete job?

albert_choua
Level 4
You are talking about 10D BE license? I don't have problem to get 11D BE license but how about the others options license?

oracle_8202
Level 4
To register you have to go to

https://licensing.symantec.com/acctmgmt/index.jsp

You would only click on the version upgrade link if you were a previous BE 10 user with a valid maintenance contract. This just allows you to download the new 11d software (which is the route that I went). You shouldn't need to do this if you already have a copy of 11d. If you don't have 11d then they should have sent you your notification ID and customer number in an e-mail (that's how they did it for me).

Now here is the tricky part that never quite worked for me the way it was supposed to.

1) Click on "License Management (Manage Licenses)"

2) Enter your old Serial numbers (this includes the components not just BE, e.g. I used my BE 10, Oracle Agent, and library expansion serial numbers) and customer number and pray that the system recognizes it. It would never recognize mine and I had to use my customer number alone without serial number.

3) Once all of your old BE 10 license numbers are entered you should be able to go back to the "License Management (Manage Licenses)" link and search for your license using the "Your License Catalog" section of the page.

4) After searching for your license (still BE 10 at this point) you click the "View Details" link beside each license number. Within that link there is another link that says "Upgrade License". If you click this link you will receive an e-mail with the new 11d license for BE and all the components that you entered into the site. You must click the "Upgrade License" link for each serial number (Oracle Agent, Library Expansion, and so on).

Of course when I clicked the "Upgrade License" link I got an error and it took a month of calls to Symantec to get it sorted out. But eventually they fixed whatever was wrong on their end and clicking the link worked. I hope this helps.

albert_choua
Level 4
Thank you Oracle 8202! Also thanks to Nabila Bensalih, the technical support of Veritas. She is patient and sweet, without her help it might take me long long time to get the license keys I want.

The main problem is Veritas had problem to send me the Notification number that's why I did not know what my number is.
I called Veritas and Nabila helped me until late afternoon to registered all my Backup Exec components to get the license keys .

My next step is to collect more information how to upgrade and how good after upgrading the 11D.

Thanks again for all of your guys' help!

Paul_Molina
Level 4
Oracle, nice post on this. Albert, did you give Oracle the points for his excellent post?
Am I the only one that is less than satisfied with having to jump through these hoops? It took me forever to figure it out. Who dreams this stuff up?