cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrations with BE 11d!

Roly_Rodriguez
Level 4
Hello, I am coming here hoping someone can help, because I've grown VERY frustrated.... I have installed BE 11d (replaced a competitors software) and replaced my old Superloader with LTO2 to a Superloader3 with LTO3. I finally got the software installed, but I'm having the following issues:

A)Backup to Tape is DREADFUL, We're talking 120MB/min.. this is ridiculous because with the old loader on the other software I was getting about 300-400 MB per minute I spent the morning with support (after being on hold for 2.5 hrs and NOT getting a rep yest) and apparently the speed of the link was the issue, so I teamed the NICs in the Proliant, and its doing 2000 mbit FULL Duplex now, and the speed is still a disaster. At this rate, it will take a week just to do a differential backup!
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Same slow speed on local and remote backups?

From the devices tab, right click the drive\properties

make sure that neither single block option is selected

What are the settings for block size, buffer size and number of buffers?

Roly_Rodriguez
Level 4
Well it seems the demons inside decided to lay off ;) I'm currently running a differential, and it started that slow, but when it got off the backup server onto the remote boxes, it started chugging along. I've noticed on the large files(SQL backups for example) it really steams through.. the current speed is about 1250MB/min to the LTO3. As the job is running, I can't stop it in the middle to see.. but I checked and write single block is checked, what kind of performance hit does that give?

The settings for the buffer etc are:

both Block/Buffer size are 64K, and Buffer Count is 10 and High Water Count is 0.

Write pass through for SCSI is also checked.

Message Edited by Roly Rodriguez on 05-10-200711:52 AM

Howard_Brown
Level 4
You may want to make sure that you are using the Backup Exec drivers for the tape drive, and not the manufacturers (you can check this in device manager), and then check to make sure that Windows has no control over the drive:

Right-click on Computer and click Manage.

Select Removable Storage, and then select Libraries. Uncheck "Enable Drive".

I am getting 1500+ going to an LTO3 (Dell IBM Ultrium) uncompressed.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Write single block means that it will ignore all buffering.  For example, rather than reading ahead on disk and filling 10 512KB buffers, and then reading the data from buffer and writing to tape  WRITE SINGLE BLOCK will read enough data to write a block (32 or 64KB, then write that to tape, then read the next  32 or 64 KB, write that ...

If it is reasonable fast on the remote servers and slow on the media server itself, check for fragmentation

Also, the tape drive\loader should be on their own controller, not sharing with anything else, especially not on a RAID controller

Roly_Rodriguez
Level 4
Wow.. that sounds like a pretty serious performance hit then!

With regards to the Superloader, its on its own Adaptec 39160 SCSI card.

The speed on the local server isn't such a big deal as its rather small (15-20GB to backup) but just noticed it as an observation. Any idea how much faster it would be without that write single block flag?

Roly_Rodriguez
Level 4
I also wanted to thank everyone for their help, your answers are much easier and quicker than those of Symantec support. Thank you all, and if you can answer that last point about the performance hit on the single write block, it would be much appreciated. It's frustrating changing platforms, and less to one with as many different ways of doing things from what I have grown accustomed to over the years.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The question about local speeds was to see if the slowness was hardware related or nework related

As to the hit that Single Block mode will make, it will vary depending onm your hardware.  try the same job with and without to see