cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Hard disk, need delete something old backup files.

Xuanpv
Level 3

Dear all.

I'm implementation system with 10  VM window server2003/2008. I'm installing  BE 12.5 on 01 VM Window server  . set backup system state & C: Drive 

Backup from Mon-Sat is differentials , Full at Sunday . backup to D drive (D:\ drive 1TB mapping from storage) .

After over 01 week  the D:\Driver is full, I testing the backup file increate over 70GB for every 01 day . Now i need solution delete or setting to get space at D:\drive , i want backup file only 500 GB ?

Have you got any solution for this case ? pls advise

Thanks !

XuanP

17 REPLIES 17

Solution4all
Level 4

In backup exec console go to devices tab and select backup to disk folder. right click on old backup set (b2d files) errase them.

thanks,

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello XuanP,
   Check the Media set used in the backup job. As the drive is getting full ensure that the Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) selected in the properties of the Media set is set to low value then the current value.

OPP is the time till the backup sets will not be overwritten.

Thanks,
-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the only way to fix this is to actually check your Append/OPP settings on the media set and make sure you're retaining the *.bkf files for as long as you need. No sense in wasting disk space by filling it up if you can't retain as many "roll-backs" as you need.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After over 01 week  the D:\Driver is full, I testing the backup file increate over 70GB for every 01 day . Now i need solution delete or setting to get space at D:\drive , i want backup file only 500 GB ?

Go to the Media tab and set the OPP of the media set that is targeted by your job to 6 days.  This will result in 7 backup sets which will total around 490 GB.  BE will re-use the space used by the expired media.

Also, go to Tools ---> Options and set the circled options

BE 2010 - Media Management.png

Xuanpv
Level 3

Exec-Bk.jpg

Hi Pro !

In BE i don't see devices tab, Where i can access the Devices Tab ?

Thanks!

CraigV

...you're misleading everyone here with your information. You've tagged the query with Backup Exec 12.x, mentioned installing BE 12.5, but then posted a screenshot of BE 2012...which version is the correct version?

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6

Hello XuanP,
    From the screenshots its understood that you are using BE 2012 and not BE 12.5 as mentioned before.
In BE 2012 you must have defined in the backup job itself for how long you want to keep the data before it is overwritten or deleted. So go to backup job properties and change that value to lower days.

For now to clear the older backup sets go to the propreties of the Disk Storage in the Backup exec console>> Storage tab and then go to Backup Sets. Here you can delete the backup sets that you want.

Looking at the date you can delete the older one.

Thanks,
-Sush...

Xuanpv
Level 3

Dear Sush.

Thank you for your support

- I'm Sorry ! My Exec Backup is 2012 . In Backup set of Store i see many snapshot with big file . How to prevent snapshort ?

In 180px_Snapshort_0.jpg

CraigV

...you can't. BE will use VSS to snapshot the Exchange Information Store, but make sure that AOFO is turned off in the job either way.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6

Hello XuanP,
    Those are not the snapshots but are the backup sets which are taken using the snapshot feature. To  free up the space you will have to delete these backup sets. As already said, please check the dates when the backup was taken and accordingly delete the older one.

To delete just right click on the required backup set and select Delete.

Thanks,
-Sush...

mustansir
Level 4
Hello, From screenshot its clear tat its backup exec 2012...data life cycle management has been introduced in it which runs automatically and it should delete expired backup sets automatically....the reason backup sets are not getting deleted automatically is because of the backup sets...backup exec now keeps a track of type of data..thus as you have differentials running every day and full schedule for Sunday backup exec won't delete any of this backup until next full backup.... So if you have set up job in such way that data should be protected for a week and last differential backup is schedule for Saturday than data will be protected for 2 weeks until the last differential backup set expires...... To overcome this ....setup overwrite protection for a day for full and diffrential to 12 hours... This time u might have to manually delete sets however next rotation onwards it should be fine.... Please mark this as solution if this answers your question and resolves your issue.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There is no over.write protection and append period in Backup Exec 2012 in the backups are targeted to Disk based storage.

Data Life Cycle management is a feature which will groom the backup set once they are expired

Grooming means deleting the backup sets from the actual locatio

So if you backup 70 GB everyday and it will fill 490 GB in 7 days

on the 8th day you want BE to groom the 1st day`s backup set in order for the space to never cross that 500 GB mark

For this

Create a backup job and in the storage tab select keep the backup for 7 days

and on the 8th day it will delete the 1st days backup set

Now this is how it is suppose to work, however BE has some DLM feature related issue which is fixed with the new SP2 release

Before anything go ahead and install the

Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 2

and this should take care of the problem you are encountering.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Kunal how does it work in this scenario Sunday full Monday to saturday incremental With option selected to keep backup for 5 days..thus this means it should delete full... There was an enhancement in backup exec 2012 in above example it would still protect full because incrementals are still not expired because now in BE it keeps bakups as sets.....

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Then you Keep full for 7 days and incremtals for 1 day

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
About the data lifecycle management grooming process · Data lifecycle management checks for expired backup sets and then grooms those backup sets and the associated backup data to free disk space. · Data lifecycle management runs every 4 hours and whenever a low disk storage alert is received. · Data lifecycle management checks the dependency between the full and the associated incremental or differential backup sets to prevent breaking a chain of full/incremental or full/differential backup sets. Data lifecycle management does not groom expired full and incremental backup sets if there is a dependent incremental backup set that has not expired. · Data lifecycle management does not delete the last copy of the latest recovery point chain. A recovery point chain is the associated full and incremental backup sets that are generated from the same job for the same resource using the same selection list, for example, \\Server\C:, \\Server\MSSQL\BEDB). These are the backup sets that are required to successfully recover a resource to the latest point-in-time. Please have a look at the article below which has this info http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201826

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you keep data for 7 days, you would end up with 8 backup sets because when the job on the 8th day runs, the backup set from the first day is still protected.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Which means that the entire chain would still be retained when the new backup chain starts and the 500GB limit would be busted.