cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Recovery

Jeromy
Level 3
 Hi, I have been using Backup Exec v8.6 from a few months, but still I don't have a better idea I how to full-restore including all services and applications. Is it possible with this? I do not have IDR option (Intelligent Disaster Recovery). Does this option help what I want to do? Can someone give me good explanation please ?

Jeromy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
Hi jeromy, 
you can use the IDR, it is supposedly easier to do - but the steps involved are as follows for a windows 2000 server.

1. Install Windows 2000 into the same directory - giving it the same computer name, and leave it in a workgroup.
Also make sure you give the server a static IP address and all other TCP/IP settings.
2. Either install the remote agent or backup exec depending where the tape unit it.
2.1 If you installed the remote agent, setup a restore job of all drives and the system state.
Make sure you select to do:-
Restore Security
Preserve Tree
Overwrite all files
Run the restore.
Reboot the computer - it should be back as of the last backup.
2.2 If you installed backup Exec - one thing install it into a different directory than the original, insert the tape/s - inventory them, then catalog them.
Setup the restore all drives and system state.
Restore Security
Preserve Tree
Overwrite all files
Run the restore.

Thats is the basic recovery method for a windows 2000 computer with no Exchange or SQL or any other applications that used an agent to back them up online - all going well, it is that easy - though there can be some snags on the way.

Veritas do have a few articles on how to restore in different scenarios.

All I can emphasise is, make sure you test the recovery procedure out, as when the time comes to actually do it for real, you will know exactly what to do and you aren't wasting time looking for answers to even the most simplest questions.

Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

shirmal
Level 5
Hi jeromy, 
you can use the IDR, it is supposedly easier to do - but the steps involved are as follows for a windows 2000 server.

1. Install Windows 2000 into the same directory - giving it the same computer name, and leave it in a workgroup.
Also make sure you give the server a static IP address and all other TCP/IP settings.
2. Either install the remote agent or backup exec depending where the tape unit it.
2.1 If you installed the remote agent, setup a restore job of all drives and the system state.
Restore Security
Preserve Tree
Overwrite all files
Run the restore.
2.2 If you installed backup Exec - one thing install it into a different directory than the original, insert the tape/s - inventory them, then catalog them.
Setup the restore all drives and system state.
Restore Security
Preserve Tree
Overwrite all files
Run the restore.

Thats is the basic recovery method for a windows 2000 computer with no Exchange or SQL or any other applications that used an agent to back them up online - all going well, it is that easy - though there can be some snags on the way.

Veritas do have a few articles on how to restore in different scenarios.

All I can emphasise is, make sure you test the recovery procedure out, as when the time comes to actually do it for real, you will know exactly what to do and you aren't wasting time looking for answers to even the most simplest questions.

Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal