cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Windows OS Backup

yograj_mca
Level 2

HI All,

We are using Backup Exec 12.5, I want to know about full windows OS backup, I have a SAP system installed on Windows server2003, DB Oracle.

Can it possible with Backup Exec to take full System backup and in case any issue we can restore easily?

Please guide for this.

Thanks in advance.

YR

5 REPLIES 5

Gregmfg
Level 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Assuming you have the capacity to do a full installation, yes you can.

You'd have to get the server up to OS level with BE installed (if your media server is your SAP server) or with the RAWS agent installed. Restore the OS, Data etc. followed by the System State and this should return the server to normal functionality.

I'd also suggest you get hold of the Admin Guide for BE 12.5 and read the section on disaster recovery which will answer any further questions...

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you backup the complete Windows server, it backs up all the data in it.

This is helpful to restore the server back to its original state when the restore of complete server is done. But if there are any application installed on the server then they need to be backed up using the Agent for that application so that the restore of Application database are in consistent state. Just restoring the complete server will not restore the application in consistent state.

In you case you have Oracle and SAP databases. So its recommended that you install Backup Exec Agent for Oracle and backup the Oracle databases seperately other than the complete Server backup.

Here is the Software Compatibility List of BE 2010 R3 which will tell you if the Operating System and the  Oracle version that you are using is supported or not.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682 : Backup Exec 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the OP is using BE 12.5 with no mention of needing an upgrade...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ohh Sorry I missed that.....

Here is the SCL for Be 12.5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62301 : Backup Exec 12.5 Software (SCL)

P.S: I could not edit my original post so have to reply on new one.

Thanks,

-Sush...