cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full backup for SDR

Shahin
Level 6

Hi

we want to run a full backup of a phsycal Exchange server for SDR with BE 15.

My understanding is, this backup should be placed on a hard drive. right now I have a drive with enough free space for this job but the drive is on a different server then BE 15 server.

I would like to know if I can cread a B2F folder that point to a share on other server and put the full backup of the exchange server there? or the backup must be placed on a drive that is on BE server itself?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Shahin

Exchange on DC is not really a good idea and can be tricky to restore, but ...

After starting bootable media select the devices that are connected to the Media server and you need to configure Network

If this works there is a dialog where you can choose which server, which time and from which set/media you want restore.

SDR initiates a restore job (you can see it in BE Server and SDR Client Environment) using die devices on media Server. You don't have to worry about how the data is accesst. BE media server will do this for you

One important thing is that the selection in the backup job had all volumes selected which has an green symbol and the Symbol in the upper right corner is green too.

Good youtube Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd9tFz514WI

Thanks

It would be great if you mark this as answer if it solving your question.

If this was helpful please mark this as solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Yes you can.

If your Exchange Server is not Backup Exec Media Server or Domain Controller:

Simply create an B2D folder with UNC path.

You can use all backup targets Backup Exec supports (we use tape too) for recovering OS through SDR.

It is only a question on restore performance and wait times (tape insert).

Only on cloud targets I would be careful.

Kind regards

Lothar

Hi Lothar,

Thanks for your reply,

The Exchange server is also an DC, I did crearte a back-up to an B2D with a UNC path, but when start the server with the bootable media I dont see any option that point me to the unc path! I see an option that point me to the devices that are connected to the Media server.

Maybe I should create a network drive on the media server that points to the unc path of B2D and then when start the server from the bootable media and choose the first option I can restore the image from there.

Thanks

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Shahin

Exchange on DC is not really a good idea and can be tricky to restore, but ...

After starting bootable media select the devices that are connected to the Media server and you need to configure Network

If this works there is a dialog where you can choose which server, which time and from which set/media you want restore.

SDR initiates a restore job (you can see it in BE Server and SDR Client Environment) using die devices on media Server. You don't have to worry about how the data is accesst. BE media server will do this for you

One important thing is that the selection in the backup job had all volumes selected which has an green symbol and the Symbol in the upper right corner is green too.

Good youtube Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd9tFz514WI

Thanks

It would be great if you mark this as answer if it solving your question.